Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Impreza Auto- manual switch wires cut

The Impreza I just picked up has the wires cut, for the manual switch, at the base of the shift grip. should I jump the wires together to bypass the switch, or leave them as is? The wires are cut right at the base for the molded shifter grip, so no wire sticking out to splice to.

Thanks, Jon

Are you talking about the manual button on the shifter lever?

I never really used the manual mode on my legacy.....so it's up to you if you want to hook it back up.

Thanks. From reading other posts I thought it had something to do with mapping the TCU in certain situations. My everyday use would not require the features of the switch, and I don't want to mess anything up. I think they were saying that the switch is normally closed, and when used it unpowers Duty C and changes stuff. Got this car (144K) for $60.00 (fees and taxes) and recouped 30% of cost by finding $20.00 under spare tire. The timing was noodled and I redid the belt and it works great. Need front bumper cover and a few items for front, and ready for the road!

Jon

If the car runs fine with it there, i'd leave it...

Thanks! On another note, since you so kindly sent the other fellow a picture of the fuse box under the hood, could you get a pic of the cover from the fuse box inside on the drivers kick panel?

Jon

Thanks! On another note, since you so kindly sent the other fellow a picture of the fuse box under the hood, could you get a pic of the cover from the fuse box inside on the drivers kick panel?

Jon

Sure, if i still have it... it may be floating around under a seat or something, lemme grab my headlamp and run outside again :brow:

The manual button simply holds the transmission in either 2nd gear (when the gear selector is in the 2 position), or holds the transmission in either 2nd or 3rd gear (when the gear selector is in the 3 position).

That is all the manual button does. I guess you could say it's like a manual in the respect it won't shift out of those gears....but in my eyes I don't really consider it to be like a manual trans.

The manual button simply holds the transmission in either 2nd gear (when the gear selector is in the 2 position), or holds the transmission in either 2nd or 3rd gear (when the gear selector is in the 3 position).

That is all the manual button does. I guess you could say it's like a manual in the respect it won't shift out of those gears....but in my eyes I don't really consider it to be like a manual trans.

sorry for thread hijack... but my point was that in manual mode the transmission won't shift out of 2nd (or 2nd or 3rd) and therefore is MUCH more controllable than an auto transmission in drive (therefore making it at least a little bit more like a manual transmission)..it also allows you to use the transmission to decellerate using the gears.. although I'm not sure that's good for your transmissoin

sorry for thread hijack... but my point was that in manual mode the transmission won't shift out of 2nd (or 2nd or 3rd) and therefore is MUCH more controllable than an auto transmission in drive (therefore making it at least a little bit more like a manual transmission)..it also allows you to use the transmission to decellerate using the gears.. although I'm not sure that's good for your transmissoin

Yes....but you really don't need to use the manual button. Just move the gear selector to the gear you want, that's what I did. Basically the manual button was there as a very primitive form of traction control by keeping the transmission out of 1st gear and reducing the torque to the wheels (wheel slipage).

Yes....but you really don't need to use the manual button. Just move the gear selector to the gear you want, that's what I did. Basically the manual button was there as a very primitive form of traction control by keeping the transmission out of 1st gear and reducing the torque to the wheels (wheel slipage).

for more control :lol:

sorry, I'm done here now.

Finally got tabs on the car. Drives and runs great. Question on the manual switch (Origonal post), I think I understand the 1st gear thing when you have it in "1", but does it also affect 1st gear when in "D"? It feels like it is binding (chattering, grabbing, or whaterever) when starting forward in a turn since I am going from a stop. The tires are all the same make, size, wear, etc. The FWD fuse works as it should. I also have a 96 OBW manual, but don't feel the binding (or such) in same circumstances.

Did I make any sense with that discription?

Thanks, Jon

When the manual button is depressed and gear selector in the 1 position, the only difference that "may" occur is in the AWD map (ie torque split). The manual button doesn't do anything when the gear selector is in Drive.

Change your tranny fluid and see if that helps the binding feeling.

When the manual button is depressed and gear selector in the 1 position, the only difference that "may" occur is in the AWD map (ie torque split). The manual button doesn't do anything when the gear selector is in Drive.

Change your tranny fluid and see if that helps the binding feeling.

Thanks!

Jon

I went ahead and spliced the wires together and it seems to have corrected the "feeling". I guess first is first in both circumstances, and still under the manual switch influence, with the exception of "holding" when in "1"

Jon