Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speedo out and check engine light on

Hello my name is Marco and I have a 94 Legacy AWD 5 speed wagon with over 202,000 miles and still going strong. The speedo went out recently and the check engine light came on at the same time. I've read through some feedback on USMB and also a repair manual and I'm suspect of the VSS. But I understand there are two sensors? One on the transmission and on in the speedo? And tips on how to test and inspect these?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

hey there, you need to post this in the new generation of subarus forum. so if you come back and its not here on this forum, probally a moderator moved it to its proper place. just go to the right forum and it will be there. :)

Cheers, :drunk:

Buddy

Only the automatics have two speed sensors. The 5spds only have the one speed sensor in the combination meter.

What I'd suggest doing is verifying that the speedo cable inside the casing is still in one piece and hasn't broke. I'd start there, and if the cable is intact, spin the cable with a drill, and see if the speedo head moves (ignition needs to be in the ON position). If it does, there could be an issue in the transmission speedo gear.

Thanks Josh.

I'll check the speedo cable. I like this site there's a lot of good information.

Only the automatics have two speed sensors. The 5spds only have the one speed sensor in the combination meter.

What I'd suggest doing is verifying that the speedo cable inside the casing is still in one piece and hasn't broke. I'd start there, and if the cable is intact, spin the cable with a drill, and see if the speedo head moves (ignition needs to be in the ON position). If it does, there could be an issue in the transmission speedo gear.

I pulled the speedo cable and the stub looks ground down. I put a drill on the end of what's left on the cable and the speedo did work so I'm sure I just need to replace the cable. Any suggestions on where to get a new cable?

I don't remember how far away Federal Way is from Lynnwood north of Seattle, but there is an excellent junk yard right there on 99/Aurora that usually has everything i ever need, but the newer stuff might be harder to find.

AAron's auto wrecking, also in Seatte should have what you need.