Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Both my girlfriend and I drive 97 imprezas with the 2.2 (we bought them before we met). Our maintenace schedules are different and performed often by different mechanics. Oddly enough, we are both experiencing a burning rubber smell once the car has warmed up and is stopped.

I recently replaced my drive belts so I've been concerned I snugged them up a bit too tight. She ahd her radiator serviced and new thermastat put in about 2 months ago.

Any idea what the burning smell could be, it seems a little strange that we're both smelling it at the same time in 2 different cars.

i've had several burnig smells in my 95 leg & 97obw. front right cv joint/boot will leak and throw out grease onto the exhuast, giving a burning grease smell.

rear end pinion seal (where drive shaft goes into the rear end) leaking throwing grease on thr exhaust, burning smell.

or my favorite, rushed to the shop, put the car on a lift to find out what the NEW burning smell was. apparently i parked in a pile of leaves and picked up a plastic grocery bag which got on the exhaust, rubber burning smell.

good luck.

i second a broken CV boot, it's not a catastrophic thing so don't panic if you don't know what a CV is and what a broken boot means. i've driven 50,000+ miles with a broken boot, i just ignore the clicking once it gets really bad and the smell (allergies help) and smoke. before i knew anything about cars i used to get a little nervous when the boot broke, being part of the axle i thought it was a very bad thing, now i know better so sleep better knowing that.

replace the axle that the boot is on. some places insist you replace both axles, but it's not necessary unless a boot is broken.