Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In general, are turbos a maintenance problem?

I seem to have the impression that turbos are a maintenance nightmare and $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Shoud I try to avoid a turbo engine in my wife's next car?

You have left an open ended question here. Do turbo's cost more? Are turbo's a maintenance nightmare? Should I avoid it in my wife's car? I will give you my two cents.

Do turbo's cost more? Yep More up front when you buy the car and yes they cost more to maintain than their non-turbo counter part.

Are turbo's a maintenance nightmare? Todays turbo's are much better ( efficient, better designed, ) and in most cases the engine's there on are better equiped to handle the extra strain. I wouldn't say they are a maintenance nightmare.

Why would you want to give the wife a turbo. Buy 2.5 4 cylinder. 175HP is plenty and she will love the extra gas milage.

Now having said the above, many will tell you the feel of a turbo engine is worth every penny. Especially if you love spirited driving. Tuff choice.

I personnaly drive the 2.5 175hp non-turbo 2006 OB. When I get the urge for speed, I simply take the Porche out of the garage.

But if you can only buy one car?

Overthehill

On some cars it is the nightmare formula, on Subies, EA and EG series most of all, there is about 1deg of difference in terms of reliability between the turbo and NA. The STI engines are putting down 300 stock and touching 700HP with STOCK internals. I am putting about 500 at the crank and commute with it, take it on trips etc. 42k in 1.5 years and no worries. Don't fear the turbo, change the oil and use synthetic.

Over the hill, which Porsche model do you have? I ran a 911 for a while, the wife has a Boxster S (Deerslayer special edition). I like them, but after this new gen one, I think that I am out for good. I mean the STI crushes it for half as much. I would consider a late 70's or early 80's whale tale turbo though....

i assume you're talking about a new vehicle? if so then you're fine, get what you want. if it's 10 or 20 years old then yes, there are a few extra cooling hoses and oil return lines that should be checked or replaced. playing with a turbo can destroy a motor if you don't know what you're doing, but i don't think your wife plans on crawling under the hood with tools in hand.