Ultimate Subaru Message Board

She's At It Again...

So I was driving to work this morning when once again the heat goes ice cold and my car starts overheating. I JUST checked the coolant level about 3 days ago, and it didn't need any. The few times I checked before then, the level was also fine. And (correct me if I'm wrong, Phil), I believe KBD checked the coolant level when he changed my oil last night. When I went to put more coolant in the car during break, it took a LOT.

TurboXT seems to think that its the turbo coolant hose.

I guess my question is this: Why or how is my car leaking so much coolant at once, and how come there's not a set pattern to it?

Have you checked the turbo hoses? if rick thinks that what it is, make him feel around for liquid. also, checker is known for selling junk thermostats, but that doesn't explan your loss of coolant. Any water on the floorboards or anything like that? is the turbo have white stuff on it?

Temp could have alot to do with the reason its leaking off and on...it was kinda cold again today, after being warm for a while.expansion and such. I dono...I would say its the subaru emblem leaking coolant and thats your problem...But I own two of the damn things now....heh

Theres definately a pressure loss somewhere, whatever its doing is creating an air bubble which prevents circulation, causes your heat to go nil, and the lack of circulation causes a severe overheat in rapid form. I dont think its a hose its probably internal to the block like headgasket failure, crack in something, etc.

If one of your turbo cooling hoses has a leak, it will only leak when your turbo is "running". We ran into that a few years ago. A dealer couldn't figure out why it was happening, and since they bought the engine from us, it had to be our fault :-p .

We got the car over to our place, and figured it out. I asked why they didn't replace the hoses as a matter of course while the engine was out?

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

I dont think that its a cracked head... the car smells like coolant burning off the top of the engine... I just think its a very slow leak... my cars just recently blew the heater hoses, so I'd start there then move to the turbo, but the turbo would keep the coolant from getting to the ground...

The reason her internal car heater doesn't work well is cause the mix door doesnt move very well, I need to get under the center console and check out the cable. :-\

Woohoo! After a bunch of overheating (much like when the radiator cap was pulled off and launched about 100 feet in the air) last night, my guys found the hose the coolant is leaking from!!! Its a small bypass hose toward the back of the engine. KBD is going to be nice and fix it for me.

Sooooo..... one less thing wrong with this car. Now all that's wrong with it is the heat/cold flappy door in the engine (KBD says he's gonna try to fix that, too). Oh, and there's the not-so-functional radio.

(P.S. This beautiful car may soon be for sale! See my thread "Gauging Interest" in the market place.)