Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy wagon wiring and CB install?

well I attempted to install a CB in my 97 Legacy wagon... located the radio fuse... was gonna slip the positive lead in there like I have before... and ground to the frame... but couldn't find a good spot to attach the ground wire.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'm not that knowledgable about Subi wiring and when I see all those brightly colored wires I get confused... is there a convenient way to connect the CB power and ground wires without tapping into the fuse panel? or a good location (screw) I can loosen and retighten for the ground?

Is there a good tutorial on auto wiring somewhere?

TIA,

Mal

Well, my 2meter is still just plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet. I don't know if the radio harness can handle another 15 amps (which is what mine draws on high power transmitting) in addition to everything else on there. CB's are usually lower power than ham radios, but you don't want to overload anything. If you want a more hardwired way than just plugging it in, I'd try tapping into the positive and negative wires going into the back of the cigarette lighter plug.

Zeke

Well, for just a CB you could power it off the wires to the accessory socket, get some of those vampire clips if you don't want to solder. Just dont transmit and use something else that drains a lot of current in the socket at the same time. CB's don't take too much power, so it should be ok. Just wire an inline fuse on the radio to be sure. But you're probly gonna get noise in the background from the alternator, kind of like a high pitched whine. Just do not use the accessory wireing for anything bigger, like a ham radio.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input.

I was gonna run power from the fuse block... tap into a 15A or 20A fuse there...the power lead also has a 5A glass fuse in it... (slightly big CB), and just use the accessory socket for my ground...

Hoping I can get to the back of the accessory socket without having to remove the center console... any tips?

Thanks,

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Installed!!!! Whoohooo!!!!

OK OK... after contorting myself into various positions that only a Russian gymnast should attempt... I've got the CB installed.

The major problem was finding a suitable ground and my solution was staring me in the face the whole time.

I connected the power to the radio fuse (don't use AM/FM while using CB) and for the ground I elected to use the seat bracket bolt. There was just no suitable screw or bolt under the dash (that I could loosen). I was also cautioned against tapping into the ground for the accessory socket since it may pick up engine noise on the CB.

Soooo...

When at a loss for finding a suitable ground use the seat bracket bolt... and save yourself a lot of hassle and contorting.

Mal

i put a CB in mine 95 legacy 5 speed i put it just above my aftermarket tape player fit in there nice and tight i ran my ground wire onto the e-brake tightner, i unscewed the nut that make the e-brake thighter or looser and put the ground wire there, my pos wire runs to the battery with a inline fuse along with the foglights and the dukes of hazzard horn ,yes the DUKES OF HAZZARD HORN

1995 SUPER SUBBIE legacy awd 5speed

1991 super subbie station wagon demo derby car