Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel gauge issue on 01 Legacy

I've been reading the various posts on this forum regarding the fuel sending unit issues and I'm wondering if what we experienced with our 01 Legacy can be attributed to those units before going in and cleaning them...

We've been running our car with known sending unit issues for the past 2 years where we still have between 175 and 200 km left to go when the fuel indicator light goes off.

All of a sudden last week, my wife ran out of gas with the gauge indicating over 1/4 full...

Is this likely to be the same root cause that some cleaning of the units should fix or is it more likely that one of the unit (or something else) suddenly stopped working and should be replaced ?

Thanks

That is a little wierd, the fuel warning light is independant of the rehostats that control the actual gauge. It almost sounds like something is stopping the floaters from moving. Try taking the sending units out to clean them, its possible the little bushing they ride in got jammed up.

Thanks!

Perhaps I should also have indicated that accompanying the initial issue with the warning light coming off with ~ 1/3 of the tank full, the gauge wouldn't go past the 3/4 mark when fillling up and would then show empty when the light would go on.... this last time the gauge didn't go below 1/4 full...