Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Drivers seat for `95 Legacy L

Hello all,

My mom came to me with a unique question the other day. She is curious if it's possible to have the drivers seat in her 1995 Legacy L replaced with a seat of the same color. The reason is that this car has been driven 281,000 miles with myself, herself, and my sister driving it consistently in that time period. Obviously with that much driving on it, the seat is bound to get worn out, the cushioning material has seemingly went 'flat', and the metal wire frame is starting to be easily felt on the left hand bottom of the drivers seat.

I'm curious (outside of going to a salvage yard) if it's at all possible to find a seat of matching or similiar color? Her seat is cloth, with a blue/greyish color to it. Is there any place I can get the official color code for that?

I'm assuming that replacing the seat is nothing more than unplugging wires, unbolting it, and putting a new one in?

Thanks!

Brad

Thanks, I had a feeling it would be that simple. :) Now the question is, are there any aftermarket shops or stores that sell Subaru seats? Or at least any place where I can go to learn more information regarding the color codes? I have a feeling that going to salvage yards will be a big hit or miss and only give me somewhat of a chance of even finding a subaru seat at all, never the less the same cloth/color type.

yep, very easy to do and straight forward.

There are aftermarket seats available, but they are typically the "racing" seats. Check E-bay for those. I doubt that's what you want though. Junk yard maybe the best place, but then you might be swapping an old tired seat for another tired seat. Last resort maybe to take a junkyard seat and put it in. Take your seat out and have a good auto upholstery shop re-upholster it (with new foam of course). When it's done, put your re-built one back in. I don't have any idea how much it costs. Ask someone that's into hot-rods, you may get a good recommendation that way.

That would be way up and above too much overkill for my mom. She just wants a new seat of the same color, fabric, style, etc. But without spending hundreds of dollars to do so. She'll probably do without a replacement unless a lucky replacement seat becomes available.

There are aftermarket seats available, but they are typically the "racing" seats. Check E-bay for those. I doubt that's what you want though. Junk yard maybe the best place, but then you might be swapping an old tired seat for another tired seat. Last resort maybe to take a junkyard seat and put it in. Take your seat out and have a good auto upholstery shop re-upholster it (with new foam of course). When it's done, put your re-built one back in. I don't have any idea how much it costs. Ask someone that's into hot-rods, you may get a good recommendation that way.

post in the "parts wanted forum". be nice to include a picture if you can. i have extra impreza seats, i'm sure someone has legacy seats. call the yards, they'll have something or can look it up for you and tell you who does.

i'd look for a low mileage replacement, they won't be that expensive. new would be $$$$$.