Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!! Stalling when not accellerating etc...

So my car is stalling every time im not accelerating. It doesn't always do this, every once in a while it wont do it...randomly...I have tried to figure out some sort of pattern as to when it descides to stall out and when it doesn't but there doesnt seem to be any sort of pattern or condition. lso, usually on cold mornings I can floor it in first and it will take about 2-3 mins to get going, same for 2nd and so on...all and all takes me about 6-8mins to get up to 60mph....seriously. Some times its so bad I will be in first going up a hill and will loose all power and have to shut it off, start up and try again, once had to start my car 4 times on one hill. Also, I am getting about 10-12 mpg now....not fun. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PLEASSSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure which model you have. But once you check the 'tuneup' items (plugs fouled/mis-gapped), bad plug wires/coil wire, do the Seafoam treatment (including direct input to intake manifold), if it's still stalling, I would suspect:

1. Coolant temp sensor has died; or

2. Leaky accordian trunk hose from air cleaner to throttle body; or

3. Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is dirty or dead.

Others will have some more suspects for you.

Let us know what cures it.