Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I do a fair amount of driving on dirt logging roads in NH and Maine to get to the good skiing and paddling locations. I drive slowly (no rallying) and try to avoid the roughest spots (I used to drive a Jeep, and I know I don't have the clearance I used to), and so far I haven't had any problems.

I've noticed that the rear diff protector is pretty cheap and seems to be easy to install. How vulnerable is the rear diff? Does the skidplate provide enough protection? Any other dangly bits I should be worried about underneath?

Thanks,

Greg

97 Impreza Wagon 4EAT 85k

to be honest :)

if you hit something hard enough to do any damage your rear diff,

you are in huge trouble & your car is screwed.

Rear diff protector is a nice add on though

fairly easy to install, looks nice and does add some protection

more than the rear skid, i would worry about a front skid

protect your oil pan and cv joints

www.get-primitive.com

great place to get a 'real' skid plate

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

Any other dangly bits I should be worried about underneath?

What I typically broke on my old EA81 and EA82 on the milder jeep trails was the exhaust, and some scraping on the bottom of the body panels. I've scraped rocks along the bottom of the unibody, without tearing the rear diff or axles off (not quite sure how). I'd be more concerned about the front, especially the oil pan. But if you've already got that covered, the diff sounds like the next obvious thing.

Somehow, my friend with a '91 legacy keeps tearing her outer front CV boots off -- deep snow with icy ruts in it.