Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do any of you leave you sub running while you fuel it. I'm getting ready for a road trip and am thinking while i jam off the highway for fuel it's better to leave running. Can any of you comment? I don't want the check engine light or what not to kick on?

Is there any issues with doing this??

thx

b

Shouldn't be any problems with the CEL. The only issue is blowing your car and entire gas station up from some spark from the running engine igniting the fuel vapors as you are fueling up.

To me this isn't a very good arguement, because even if your engine isn't running, the car that pulls in next to you is, and he's turning his headlights off, radio on, etc... Having your own car running is perhaps a tiny bit more dangerous, but the whole proceedure is so dangerous to begin with....

My diesel I often leave running while fueling, especially on long trips, because I need to cool the turbo down after getting off the highway. Diesel also is way less flamable. My subaru I shut off because I can't think of a good reason to keep using fuel idling.

Edit: just saw the reply above me. I forgot that the gas cap being off can throw the CEL. Unless you are doing turbo cooldown, I don't see a reason to keep it running.

Call it a bad habit but I routinely leave the engine running. To me it's easier on the starter. Never had any issues so far. I typically touch the pump and the car with my hands at the same time prior to fueling to bleed static electricity if present.

Whatever...still a bad habit.

rd

Do any of you leave you sub running while you fuel it. I'm getting ready for a road trip and am thinking while i jam off the highway for fuel it's better to leave running. Can any of you comment? I don't want the check engine light or what not to kick on?

Is there any issues with doing this??

thx

b

Please do not come near North Carolina if you intend to fuel while the engine is running. We have enough smokers at the pumps already.

Take it from someone who has been involved in extracting another human being from an automobile totally involved in flames from a gasoline fire: it is extremely unlikely anyone will come to your aid if you are on fire. Natural preservation of the self tends to be more predominant than preservation of a stranger.

Funny you mention this, last November I was in a gas station in Vermont where a guy pulled up and left he engine running while filling up. As soon as he was done he turned around to replace the nozzle and a guy ran up jumped into the open door (which he had left open to jam with the radio) and took off.

The other thing I'm amazed by is the driver's who go into the local 7-11 for a cup of coffee and a newspaper and leave the car out front running (to warm up or whatever) and are genuinely surprised at the fact someone would steal the car.

Funny you mention this, last November I was in a gas station in Vermont where a guy pulled up and left he engine running while filling up. As soon as he was done he turned around to replace the nozzle and a guy ran up jumped into the open door (which he had left open to jam with the radio) and took off.

The other thing I'm amazed by is the driver's who go into the local 7-11 for a cup of coffee and a newspaper and leave the car out front running (to warm up or whatever) and are genuinely surprised at the fact someone would steal the car.

Not only is it VERY dangerous, as has been mentioned, it is also against the law in most states in the US, including VERMONT. But the last time I said something to a station attendant here, he said he got tired of telling people that. Not sure if police have time to enforce it until somebody gets blown up!!

(and Vermonters will tell you we have NO crime, so you couldn't possibly have seen somebody steal a car...............................)