Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to know if my STI is a Spec C?

I bought a white sti which I think is a Spec C. Im in North Carolina, the car is an 04, brought in the states through Subaru New England.

The car has Spec C under the STI badge in the back and it also has a big water tank in the trunk. The car also has a factory roll bar built into it and a roof scoop which has a bunch of japanese writing on the underside from the inside the car.

My question is, are there any other ways that I can tell for sure that this car is a spec C? I also ran the VIN number at the dealership and it says spec C in the options list or somewhere in the middle of the paper which they printed (im going to get another one printed tomorrow because i lost the last one). The guy at the subaru counter was asking me what the Spec C means... go figure... But he also said that he has never seen any subaru STI's brought to the country through Subaru New England. Also, the car was not sold at a dealership, it was sold directly from the Subaru headquarters and it was listed as a manufacturer car according to what i have discovered. No body at the subaru dealership here knew anything about what a Spec C is and none of the dealerships that I have called know anything about how this car got here??? The only thing they could tell me was, from what they know, it came right from the Subaru headquarters in cherryville.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone could offer. Im a noob to subarus. I was actually considering selling the supra tt for this thing. The only thing i know his this thing is absolutly insane!

jf1gd70644l504870

No radio, dont know about the ac, it does have that roof scoop which i havent seen on any other sti's - it blows air into the cabin when it is open. the vents have been blowing cold air since its like 30 degrees outside.

do all of the sti's come with the roll bar? also, didnt know if they come with some tank, looks like a 5 liter tank in the trunk.

Ok, found the paper. It shows that it was a "corporate" sales order and that the model is 4JJ and the option list is PW/PL/AC/ABS/SAB, HID H1/ Gnmtl Alywhls, but right under the options list, it says Spec C. right beside the Ext/Int Colors which is wht/blc. Also the sales type is "K" whatever that means... It has a production date of 15-Mar-2003

First owner is Subaru of America.

The Spec C you are referring to on the Subaru Vehicle Inquiry Sheet refers to the engine specifications your car was built for. FHI uses the C code for turbocharged vehicle's, F code for normally aspirated vehicles. Yours is a standard USDM STi with some after-sale modifications.

There wasnt anything done to the car. The roof scoop and the roll bar were built into the car. I dont know if that is optional or not, I didnt find that on the option list in the books from the dealer, but I could be wrong... Also, the rear deck and the roof are aluminum or something because they are not registering any paint depth on my paint meter. (elcometer)- I have both the 311 and the 311 highline

The roof vent, water tank, aluminum trunk/hood and "roll bar" all could have easily been added. It sounds like you have a 2004 USDM STi. In 2004, there was no radio offered, but it had everything else. Fact of the matter is, it is almost most definately NOT a real Spec C, but one that has been very tastefully modified. In the Impreza community, it is not unheard of for people to spend a lot of money making a Spec C replica. For your own reading though, here is the Motor Trend report on the Spec C and Automobile Magazines report. If you want the full "Carfax" history of youcar click HERE to run your VIN :)

Detailed pictures would help out a bunch, and the folks in your Mid-Atlantic Chapter may be able to help you get to the bottom of it/hump your car! I myself would love to see pictures of the roll bar and the roof vent. What wheels are on it?

Take care,

Kevin