Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake upgrades for 89 gl-10?

I need new brakes. 89 GL-10 AWD turbo wagon. Is there a significant difference between going to my local auto parts place and getting the "replacement" parts or bothering to get "performance" parts? If performance ARE better, where is the best place to get them and what works best? I probably need pads and rotors for all 4 (it has been sitting for a long time and the brakes don't sound or work too good).

I need new brakes. 89 GL-10 AWD turbo wagon. Is there a significant difference between going to my local auto parts place and getting the "replacement" parts or bothering to get "performance" parts? If performance ARE better, where is the best place to get them and what works best? I probably need pads and rotors for all 4 (it has been sitting for a long time and the brakes don't sound or work too good).

If you want performance brake disc upgrades, you need to check out this site: http://www.raceshopper.com/sp_subaru.shtml

TROGDOR brought this site to my attention a couple of weeks ago. But let me warn you ahead of time, they aren't cheap, but the shorter stopping distance should be well worth the money. As for pads, I'm not sure what to tell you. You might try to find some organic pads(vs. semi metallic), if you can find them. Or you can check with raceshopper.com and see if there is a certain type of pad that they recommend for use with the discs. I hope this helps.

Patrick

Thanks a lot guys. I requested a quote from that site and will also find out about pads to go with the rotors. If they are REALLY expensive I might pass them up this time around, but I am still interested enough to ask.

Patrick. I have a good buddy who lives on Okinawa, he's an aircraft mechanic for the US Airforce. Cool stuff!