Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I own a 1998 outback wagon in good condition. Purchased with 72000 milw now have 92000 miles did the 90000 mile service and water pump at a local mechanic after subaru indicated I had Oil leaks that my local mechanic said I need not be concerned about.

However I am worried about Hg problems. Should this be a worry. I am also looking for a Subaru mechanic in Fairfield county ct or in New Haven. My most honest mechanic has left his business. He was too honest.

Are the newer Subarus better what years are the best?

When doing a timing belt and water pump (at least on the 2.2l) the oil seals are pretty much parts cost only, as they are in locations easy to get to when doing timing belt and whatnot.

Your car is getting up their in mileage. You might not see a head gasket problem....but then again, its very common. Just make sure you have $1500 or so available so at the first sign you can get it fixed and not mess up your engine.

I like 2004 and up but I have a 99 myself. Your car is getting a bit long in the tooth. If everything else is fine I would be tempted to do a major service and either give it head gaskets or plan on keeping a few bucks for them. Every mile you get is free at this age I figure. I did big time service on my 99 Forester a couple years ago at 90,000 miles and at over 122,000 it is better than it was a few years ago and trouble free. At this point it looks like it will hit 200,000 and my smile gets bigger every mile.