Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's a good thing I have the wagon, coz I would have completely lost my patience with Patti and either ripped her apart and parted her out, or sold her.

This happens roughly every 5th time I start the car, although there's no noticeable pattern to it. Usually it starts right up, but sometimes it will just sit there and crank and eventually turn over reluctantly.

I think the best way would be to let you see for yourself.

Here's how the car normally starts (right-click, save as, small vid, 56k should be okay)

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/Videos/000_0583.mov

It's usually two revs and then it turns over...

But every once in a while, it will do something like this:

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/Videos/000_0580.mov

It's not comforting, me thinking that one day it's just going to keep cranking and never start...

I have replaced the coolant temp sensor, yes (assuming the one with the brown plug is the one for the ECU), I've also replaced the spark plugs recently, as well as the fuel filter. The car runs magnificently once it starts.

I should add that it started this right after I replaced the fuel filter about 2 months ago. I did the fuel-pump unplug to relieve pressure, and it's been doing this since then.

Any ideas? Please help. Thanks!

battery connections clean and tight?

how old is the cap? i'd replace it and the rotor. cracked or leaky distributor cap or rotor can cause this, rough to start but runs great.

outside of that, leaky injectors bleeding off fuel as the car sits. but i'm highly doubful that's the case.

im on dial up and couldnt use your links,could it be possible that the starter is so wore out that it is pulling all the amperage not giving the coil enough?

It's a rebuilt starter I got 5 years ago, and even if it drained the extra amperage from my high-rated battery, the lights in the car should dim.

battery connections clean and tight?

Yep, cleaned terminals with dielectric grease.

how old is the cap? i'd replace it and the rotor. cracked or leaky distributor cap or rotor can cause this, rough to start but runs great.

This is my Legacy, EJ22, coilpack ;)

outside of that, leaky injectors bleeding off fuel as the car sits. but i'm highly doubful that's the case.

No fuel smell anywhere under the hood, not to mention there's no correlation with engine temperature and diffficulty to start.