Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found The Clunk!!!!!!!UPDATE..

ok,ok,i believe i have found it....shawn w was right i think.i wiggled my inner cups and both of them seem loose.i am going to confirm that when ruda gets over here and i feel his inner cups(he said i had to buy him dinner first, but i think i will just give him a barley soda.....):lol::brow:

if this is the case it would be a hella relief..........

You can adjust the backlash but its not for the novice but at this point if you are willing to try it and know that you may trash the front diff by trying it, send me a PM. I don't want to publish instructions on how to do this you could do SERIOUS damage and I dont want to be responsible for destroyed transmissions.

ya'know shawn......the last time i tried to take apart a 4spd d/r i seriously messed up even taking it apart.so no......i think it is time for another tranny and maybe in the future i will askk for advice from you on that....thanks, for the post mate......

and ruda stopped by ,my stubs seem a lot loose.......

well, i don't know how i could enlighten you on it.......i have had a serious clunk on acceleration and most stops for quite a while now.i replaced all bushings on and mounts on the front end and it would not go away.shawn suggested that it was the backlash in my tranny not being adjusted properly .the only way to tell if it was as diagnosed i wiggled my stub axles with my cv's on and there was way to much movement.so the deduction was that yes the pinion gear was moving around in there and yes it was getting worse over the coarse of time.

got the 5 spd in and .....welll, there is no clunk! awesome.....now i just have to get the driveline in before i drive it again and lose all my gear oil(yes i did it,and only lost a tad before i wasn't a dumb*** anymore).:banghead:

got the tailend of the tranny "plugged " in a very imaginative way with the help of baccaruda,and man if i could only explain it.it is funny lookin...involves a cv boot,a couple of hose clamps and a shifter handle.