Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear suspension clunk

I searched and found alot of different things but knowone has the same problem I seem to be having. So whats your advice.

I have a clunk in the rear end mostly the pas. side in my 92 loyale 4X4. The car does not have air suspension. It happens pretty much at all speeds when hitting a pot hole, high way joints big or small. I was thinking it was the rear struts failing. So I put it up on a lift to check it + to change both front axles & ball joints. (Thank you to everyone was involved in the directions and pics to do the front axles & ball joints it really help & saved me some cash.;) ) Ok back to the rear end clunk. When it was up on the lift I noticed the front bushing to the rear trailling arm looked to be pretty wore out & had rust on it like the arm had been rubbing frame because the bushing was shot. Is this the problem or could it be something else or a combination of things. I plan on replacing that bushing anyway. Can I still purchase this part? Any tips or tricks to replacing the bushing and fixing this problem would be great. The car also needs an alignment and I would like to get this taken car of 1st.

Thanks for the help and this site is great and has tons of info.

Oh one last thing the right rear tire got worn pretty badly on the out side if this info helps.

Well I ordered the busing that I need, OEM by the way. My question now is whats involved w/ replacing it because Iam doing it myself. I dont have it in front of me so I dont know what it looks like. I know w/ previous cars the bushings came w/ an inner & outer metal sleeve and the whole thing has to be press out & the new one pressed in. I did a search and cant find out if this bushing has both inner & outer sleeves, if it does this sounds like its going to be a real pain to do w/out taking the whole trailing arm off the car to get all the press work done. Would the super pro bushings be an easier replacement? Sounds like you leave outer sleeve (if there is a factory one) when using these bushings.