Ultimate Subaru Message Board

While driving yesterday I had the CEL come on. Checked the code this morning and it was P0440 - Evap Emissions System. I've searched the old posts here but no one had any conclusive evidence on what caused this code to trip. Does anyone have experience with this code and getting the cause of it fixed?? Thanks.

Dan

While driving yesterday I had the CEL come on. Checked the code this morning and it was P0440 - Evap Emissions System. I've searched the old posts here but no one had any conclusive evidence on what caused this code to trip. Does anyone have experience with this code and getting the cause of it fixed?? Thanks.

Dan

If you recently purchased fuel, likely the gas cap needs a few more 'clicks' to be secure. Then, it will take several drive cycles to clear the code, or Autozone/friendly mechanic could clear it, or disconnecting the neg. battery cable for an hour would do it.

what model/year/mileage/condition etc. do you drive?

The car's a 99 OBW. About 85k miles, in good condition, with all maintenance done. I drove about 120 miles on a tank of gas before the CEL came on. I cleared the code this morning but haven't done any driving since. The same code came up about 16 months ago - I cleared it and this is the first time it's come back up.

The car's a 99 OBW. About 85k miles, in good condition, with all maintenance done. I drove about 120 miles on a tank of gas before the CEL came on. I cleared the code this morning but haven't done any driving since. The same code came up about 16 months ago - I cleared it and this is the first time it's come back up.

possible bad hose or cracked plastic in evap recovery system I guess.