Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake liquid light warning!!!!!

Here, in Romania is winter....if my care stay one week when I start engine, my brake light(dash light) is ON. If I open and after that close my brake fluid container cover, light is off. Is there a problem??My brake liquid level is ok.

Thanks

What year is your car, and is it a brake fluid warning lamp or a brake lamp warning? If it is the fluid light, undo the plug at the reservoir until spring. If it is the lamp warning, it is probably from moisture inside the car. You have to remove the rear bulbs and spray or grease the contacts. Enjoy your winter.

Hi Bella,

I'm nereby you.

The problem should be with your rear brake lamps. There's a consumption sensor C.I nereby the rear lamp support. Inspect the lamps and clean the contacts (like on the Dacia, but use some professional contact cleaner, without mechanical cleaning ). This should help you. If don't contact me.

What year is your car, and is it a brake fluid warning lamp or a brake lamp warning? If it is the fluid light, undo the plug at the reservoir until spring. If it is the lamp warning, it is probably from moisture inside the car. You have to remove the rear bulbs and spray or grease the contacts. Enjoy your winter.

Is fluid light and if I follow your procedure light goes off....but why is happen this?

Thanks

PS:'86, Leone GL

My guess is your brake fluid has never been changed. Moisture built up in brake fluid (and is usually more prevelant in the winter) can trick the brake fluid sensor and cause it to come on. Try changing the brake fluid.

Thanks.......other guess????:)

the sensor itself could also be bad

there is also a brake lamp warning indicator on some cars, to tell you your taillight is burnt out

also there is the classic parking brake warning light - but that is marked as such

my guess is that the level sensor is bad - it is a simple float in the resivoir - check to see that it is moving freely in the fluid, and if you still have the problem, it is probably a shorted level sensor

good luck

My car has a problem that sounds similar. I think that the problem is with the sensor within the fluid reservoir; it may be related to the sensor's float either sticking or floating too low in the fluid due to absorbed fluid; if I had to guess, I would say it is sticking. I have been unable to solve the problem, but have not applied much effort yet. Replace the fluid, try to irrigate around the sensor float.