Ultimate Subaru Message Board

prebuy questions on 03 Forester

I own an 03 Forester with low mileage, and I would recommend the car only if you absolutely need an AWD vehicle, because it is expensive to maintain and it doesn't have much room. The rear cargo is nice, but there's insufficient legroom in the rear, which creates problems for rear-facing car seats. The gas mileage has been okay and we haven't had any problems yet, but then again the car doesn't have much mileage. Subarus are niche vehicles, so there aren't too many dealers, and if you have a problem with one, there's likely nobody else in the area. Bottom line: if you need a solid AWD vehicle that's not for a family, the Forester should be okay.

But boy is there ever a difference between Burlington VT and so CA. I am from Maine originally and live in northern Ca. Yep in so CA a Forester does not make a lot of sense. Mine sees more mud than snow but it is a handy little vehicle. If you want more room don't get a Forester. It was designed to be a short SUV type and gets about 25mpg but will haul a heck of a lot for its size. I am at 122,000+ and happier with it all the time.

There is a head gasket issue and Subaru covers them for 100,000 miles if you allow them to add some goop to prevent leaks. There have been far less issues with the 2003 and later than the earlier ones.

Like any car condition and maintence history are paramount. These cars have less problems than many but they are four wheel drive and there is always a bit more to maintain on a four wheel drive.

I would not recomend buying a Forester. I have a 99 with 85,000 miles.

I have replaced: The rear wheel bearings,

Knock sensor

Both head gaskets

Air intake sensor

Master cylinder

Currently has a leaky inner seal in the transmission.

Because of a design flaw in the engine I have to add an aditive to the antifreeze everytime I change it to prevent the Head Gasgets from leaking again. This is the most unreliable car I have ever had.

I'm considering buying a 2003 Forester 2.5 xs with low miles. Does anyone have any info on problems with these or comments on quality? TIA

I have an '03 Forester with 68K miles on it. No major problems so far. Factory installed disc brakes didn't last long, though. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a Forester if I had to do it again. As was mentioned, doesn't make a lot of sense in Southern CA. Depends on the weather and road conditions where you are.

As was also mentioned, not much leg room in the back.

But, I think it's a very well made vehicle. Problems with earlier Foresters seem to have been rectified by '03.

There is a world of difference between the '99s (mine was also a lemon and had experienced similar unscheduled maintenance by that mileage) and the '03s. If you live in Vermont, parts and dealer service shouldn't be a problem; I hear Auto Creek is very good. Go for it if you can get proof of maintenance and if there's still factory coverage left (or it's just out).

I originally bought my 03 Foreter because I didn't want a minivan and I refused to buy a large SUV. I thought that it would have the space for the outdoor activities I like, as well as have enough space for the family, but it doesn't do either very well.

It doesn't have enough rear legroom, and the rear cargo space only really works if the seats are folded down. I'm not happy with the factory installed roof rack, and while it handles well, it's not very good with short distance drives - poor gas mileage. In addition, if there's a flat that cannot be fixed, all four wheels have to be changed, unless you're willing to spend time to find a used tire that matches the other three.

I think it's the perfect car for somebody who's single and makes short trips in poor/snowy weather conditions - the East coast. Subaru has sold this car as the answer to the minivan, but I don't think it is.

I woud add one other reason to buy a Forester. For a car of its' size, the Forester is one heck of a tow vehicle. I live in South Carolina, so snow isn't much of an issue. But, I needed a car that could tow my 1,500 lbs. sailboat, could carry a lot of electronic gear for my business, had a worthwhile roof rack, and wasn't a gas guzzling full out SUV. As a side bonus, the Forester is a great handling car and a lot of fun to drive. It has PLENTY of power for normal driving. Another bonus, the highest crash ratings in its' class

I would agree with many of the points raised by the other posters. AWD vehicles require extra maintenance. The Forester has cramped back seats, OK in a pinch, but not really a family car. It really is a niche vehicle. But if you're in that niche, it's a pretty good car.

Thanks for the replies. We currently have an Explorer (which we will keep) to tow the horse trailer. The kids are gone (hopefully) so the back seat shouldn't be too much of an issue. We do have two bigs dogs to fit (one could use a little more head room). We liked the seating and visibilty better than the OBW's. My major concerns are with repairs. The owner did mention the faster brake pad wear on the disks ~ 30K before replacing. Also someone on this thread mentioned the cabin temperature which may be an issue - We'll have to do a longer test drive.

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this up because we have been offered first dibs on a 2003 Forester -- friend's mother is going to sell it before moving for retirement living.

I'll be back with mileage and model once I know them! We're in No. Ca. and pretty sure we want this one -- just starting the checklist to know what to watch for.

Does Subaru allow transfer of the 6yr/60k powertrain warranty, or does that evaporate with a used one?

• 4 weeks later...

And following up, looks like we'll buy a 2003 Forester X with not quite 21k miles, next week. We fit the 'niche' -- need 4wd for field botany/restoration trips (everyone needs a hobby ...). Good points made above. Never towed before but lately a tent trailer becomes tempting. I just learned someone makes an "off road tent trailer" with high clearance, which would be great.

OK, we too are planning to buy a used 2003 Forester X.

Automatic, 21k miles. Bever owned a car less than 18 years old before.

I know I want to add a tow hitch.

Looking at allsubaru, I see these:

tow hitch about $183

What else should I think about adding? (And which can I get out of a junkyard, with luck?)

Splash guard/mudflaps? $100

Rear sway bar $145

Security upgrade $134

Do the 'bug deflectors' do any real good?

Does the 'back window' deflector actually help anything?

Does Subaru allow transfer of the 6yr/60k powertrain warranty, or does that evaporate with a used one?

I'm pretty sure the warranty runs with the vehicle. I bought a '99 OBW in April of '03 with 42k on the odometer. When I took it in to a dealer (not the one I bought it from, a Subaru dealer) there were some minor oil leaks that they fixed under warranty.