Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT - Beginning of the End?

I've noticed somewhat recently my auto tranny in my 1992 Legacy 240K km seemed to need to warm up a bit on the highway before the OD would engage - not a big deal. I bought it last feb/march, and never really experienced winter with it before.

But today I noticed that it did not want to engage 4th gear until I'd been driving at least for a few minutes. It was fairly cold today (about -15°C), but I found it a little disconcerning that at hit nealy 4000 rpm at 100 km/h and wouldn't shift up until I slowed down to take a turn and sped up again. Afterwards it went in and out of 4th just fine once warmed. It has not done this before to my knowledge.

How concerned should I be? I recently had a transmission flush in an attempt to kill off the slow onset of torque-bind (BTW, the FWD fuse doesn't seem to make a difference). The old fluid was getting light, but not really brown or burnt.

I've noticed somewhat recently my auto tranny in my 1992 Legacy 240K km seemed to need to warm up a bit on the highway before the OD would engage - not a big deal. I bought it last feb/march, and never really experienced winter with it before.

But today I noticed that it did not want to engage 4th gear until I'd been driving at least for a few minutes. It was fairly cold today (about -15°C), but I found it a little disconcerning that at hit nealy 4000 rpm at 100 km/h and wouldn't shift up until I slowed down to take a turn and sped up again. Afterwards it went in and out of 4th just fine once warmed. It has not done this before to my knowledge.

How concerned should I be? I recently had a transmission flush in an attempt to kill off the slow onset of torque-bind (BTW, the FWD fuse doesn't seem to make a difference). The old fluid was getting light, but not really brown or burnt.

Out of curiosity, does it shift hard from second down to first and third down to second if you punch it? Your 4th gear problem sound similiar to mine except I have the added symptoms I just mentioned.

Jordan

I don't think so, seems quite smooth otherwise. It shifts down a bit hard if I hammer the pedal, but that's normal. I'll check it more conciously on the way to work tomorrow (1 hr drive, 95% highway - yay).

Out of curiosity, does it shift hard from second down to first and third down to second if you punch it? Your 4th gear problem sound similiar to mine except I have the added symptoms I just mentioned.

Jordan

LOL, you HAVE to love the concern. I'm not making fun of you in any way. You are ALOT like many of us. Can't stop noticing things. Luckily for you, what you are experiencing is COMPLETELY NORMAL. I would not know this if I had not been researching tranny band adjustment. For YOUR vehicle, you can NOT enter OD until you have reached operating temperature. This is completely normal, and nothing to be worried about. Enjoy your new ride.

The transmission is specifically designed not to shift into 4th gear until the transmission is warmed up to a certain temp. This operation is normal.

Doh!!! Should have noticed that the MAN had already covered this. Thanks 777. Now I just look repetitive. JK.

However, is the tranny we're talking about actually a 4EAT? I thought that this characteristic was that of the 3 speed with OD. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, is the tranny we're talking about actually a 4EAT? I thought that this characteristic was that of the 3 speed with OD. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
My '99 OB has a 4EAT, with 4th being a 1:1 drive ratio (no OD). It won't go into that final gear until it's warm, just as Subaru states.

--OB99W

Whew, thanks everyone for the confirmation. I tend to get a little paranoid about my sube, and every little noise, vibration, and odd behaviour instinctively makes me cringe, fearing the worst is about to happen. Especially since torque bind has surfaced, I was contemplating whether it's worthwhile to replace the solenoid (and possibly clutch packs) or put on a used tranny. I would LOVE a 5 spd, but it would be prohibitively expensive. Since my tranny then doesn't seem to be necessarily in trouble, I may replace the solenoid (ensuring it tests defective first).

I love my sube, but she's been making me a wreck recently (not to be confused with being in a wreck) with all the little and not so little problems. :banghead: