Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy...Intermittent Sunroof

Rodney7286,

If you've had freezing weather and ice has built up on the roof, then its possible that the sunroof is frozen down and won't operate until its above freezing again. Either way, you still should have heard the sunroof motor trying to open the roof. Its not a good thing to keep trying to open it under those circumstances since you could burn out the motor or strip a gear. My experience has been that you either could have a bad contact on the switch (which you can clean with electrical contact spray, a bad relay (usually hiding under the headliner next to the motor), or a motor gone bad. Hope that its the first one, because the other two require pulling the headliner, after removal of the overhead door handles, ceiling lights, various plugs, A, B, and C pillar mouldings, and the front seat belt anchor points on the B pillar. Been there, as my 02 OBW sits in the driveway right now in such a state, as I try to chase down a roof leak. Good luck!

thanx

i hear no noise at all

which leads me to believe it's either switch or relay....

i was looking to see how to pull the switch, looking for the easy problem first but

i didn't know there was a relay....could still be tempature, when it works it's flawless...

door handles, mouldings, and headliner. the 92 has the auto seat belts and do not have an upper anchor point that interferes with the headliner. sounds like a dirty switch to me, or the relay. Hmmm, the motor is above the dome light, is it not? Could the relay be accessable by pulling the dome light? My 92 does not have the sunroof, so I cannot just go look. Sorry.

Rodney7286,

I'm basing that sunroof relay location on where its located in my 02 OBW. Its right beside the sunroof motor (passenger side), and its labelled as "sunroof relay". And, my car has the dual sunroofs, which may be totally different. What may help as well, is that the backup crank system (in case the sunroof is ever open and fails to close) has its cranking point built right into the motor's gear box. Wherever that crank point is on your car, should be the centre of the gear box attached to the motor. The relay shouldn't be too far away. As far as motorized seatbelts and their anchor points, we here in Canada have never had them as standard or optional equipment from any car manufacturer. Hope this is of some help.

sometimes it opens...sometimes not

it's been cold and i was wondering if it could be as simple as just frozen shut.

wanted to check before i start tearing things apart

My 91 Legacy does that too in cold weather. It's not ice because I live in Vancouver and it hasn't gone below freezing yet this winter. As soon as the interior of the car warms up it will act normally again.

I'm guessing it has some components that sticking in the cold.

Has anyone ever lubed their sunroof mechanism and what did you use?