Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On a 99 Forester is the Emergency brake in any way connected to the abs system. I local mechanic told me the rear brake shoes, not the brake pads/caliper are part of the abs. This makes no sense, since the emergency brake is a cable. I was told that the solinoid or abs sensor in the rear shorted out and that until it is replaced the emergency brake can't be connected. This all began a few weeks ago when I had the rear wheel bearings replaced. The mechanic forgot to hook up the emergency brake cable. Meanwhile the abs sensor got wet and shorted out. I am being told they can't hook up the cable until the abs sensor is replaced which they had to order. Does this make any sense????

On a 99 Forester is the Emergency brake in any way connected to the abs system. I local mechanic told me the rear brake shoes, not the brake pads/caliper are part of the abs. This makes no sense, since the emergency brake is a cable. I was told that the solinoid or abs sensor in the rear shorted out and that until it is replaced the emergency brake can't be connected. This all began a few weeks ago when I had the rear wheel bearings replaced. The mechanic forgot to hook up the emergency brake cable. Meanwhile the abs sensor got wet and shorted out. I am being told they can't hook up the cable until the abs sensor is replaced which they had to order. Does this make any sense????

The E brake is a mechanical brake. On cars withe rear discs it is a true emergency brake, as it has a completly independent brake system. Think of the E brake as a rear drum within the rear rotor.

Nothing you have said makes any sense, so its tim to find a new mechanic. The rear sensor is a hall effect sensor. The sensor generates an electrical polse everytime it passes the peak of a gear. These sensors are weather proof. They may be affected by anything that gets between them and thier target.

My gut feeling is that they royally screwed up. There is no reason in the world that they cant hook up the E brake cable. As far as shorted out, there is no way that can happen unless they crushed the wires. If they shorted it out, i hope they didnt damage the ABS puter. NOw it may be possible that they have to remove the e brake cable to install the replacement sensor, and that they are too lazy to do double work.

RUN to another mechanic, as these guys dont have a clue.

nipper

Yup, they are ripping you off. I've been a mechanic for thirty-three years and that's our standard ploy... when we stuff up we never admit it but charge the customer more to fix our damage and tell them they should be gratefull we found the problem so quickly. Get a new mechanic. Find a mechanic that works for himself and takes some pride in his reputation.