Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What transmission fits 93 legacy?

hi I have a 93 legacy with a 2.2l engine and I was wondering if I could put a 98 legacy transmission on my car with no problems, and is it compatible with the 93 TCU. How would I kno if the tranny is acually from a 98, because I'm getting the transmission from a japenese used car shop, and how can I tell if it haas a lot of millege? Thanks

No it's not going to work without some complications. The 93 AT has a 3.90 final drive ratio. Pretty darn sure the 98's even overseas did not have that same ratio. If you decided to go with another final drive ratio, you need to swpa the rear diffs.

Also, the electronics changed I believe in 97 or so with the Phase 2 4EAT. When this happened, they changed the connector, so you would have to modify that.....and while I think the 93 TCU would probably work, it may not work well.

You don't really. The only way would be to confirm the mileage of the car it came from. I find it hard to believe a 96 only had 50 000 km on it, unless it was a replacement.

Well what you think i should do, go for the 96 tranny? will less millage, because im havin g the drive solenoid problem right, so one i get 96 tranny they said it has 50000km on it, but how do i acually know if that is correct?