Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radiator out to remove 2.5l engine?

It gives you a lot more room and then you will not damage it. Pull the upper and lower hose, disconnect the fan plugs and trans fluid lines. remove the two mount bolts and then pull it out.

Agreed!

Even if you're doing timing belt swap - its good idea to remove it as well for two reasons - to prevent damage it (happened once long time ago) and give you more room!

Cheers

AP

Is it necessary to remove the radiator during the timing belt change, or can it be done without breaking into the cooling system?
Chilton manual says remove radiator before removing 2.5l engine (Leg/Outback).

Is this necessary?

personel preference only. it is not necessary to remove the radiator for timing belt or engine removal.

for me, i feel there's as much chance of damaging it trying to remove, lay around and install as there is to do the timing belt and engine removal. but if i'm doing the belts, i'm doing the water pump and thermostat too so breaking the coolant system open isn't why i woudln't remove the radiator.

it's a step that's not at all necessary. personal preference. some people like the room, i've never needed it or ruined a radiator.

now if you're not familiar with pulling an engine or feel you're on the liberal side of being careful then you might want to remove it so you don't run the engine into it. otherwise, i use a lift just fine. remove engine, disengage from trans, pull it straight up until it clears everything and roll it out, and you're done.

If you're gonna be draining the coolant anyhow and disconnecting the radiator hoses from the engine, there's only two bolts and two fan connectors (on my '97 OBW, anyway) preventing you from pulling the radiator. At most, it's a few minutes. Why not? Cheaper and easier than finding a replacement radiator if you prang it.