Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NA EA82.. turboable?

Woob

hey all,

im about to go pick up an MPFI EA82 engine and good gearbox to replace my fryed EA82T.. just wondering, weve had a fair bit of contraversy over wether ill be able to turbo it or not.. The new motor has Gen3 heads on it

i would like to reuse my high flowed VF2 and turbo manifold on the new engine but according to a few people it simply wont work, the NA engine wont take it at all they say.

the old engine was running 16psi, whereas with the higher compression from the NA engine i wouldnt expect to run more than around 6psi, which i really cant see a reason it should be able to take it.

has anyone ever done this before? really interested as im about to order in all of the gaskets and whatnot from my local subaru dealer and dont want to get NA exhaust manifold gaskets if it turns out it can br turboed.

ta,

Damon

I hear that 10 psi on the higher compression motor is no problem. I haven't fired mine up but I'm not very scared. I've run 15 psi on 9.8:1 on other motors before just got to make you have an intercooler and the fuel/spark is right. You'd probably want to swap on the turbo heads anyway otherwise oil supply and return will have to be custom.

the heads would have to be swapped (at least the left head for cylinders 1/3), because the NA engine will not have the oil/water connections for the turbo

the headgaskets will need to be O-ringed if they are to last, as they are already prone to blowing, and the added stress is only going to increase the chances of them blowing

There are a handful of people on the board who have taken their EA82T block and swapped it with a N/A block for higher compression. You wont want to run more than stock boost (6psi sounds right).

Im planning this build, got the block in the garage... just waiting to get my heads back from the machinist.

-Brian

awesome, i knew it had to be doable :)

now for the part of 'specifically what gaskets and other parts will i need to order from subaru pre-engine swap'?

ive got a few soob blokes coming to help me out the engine in, travelling 100km to get here and i didnt want to be short for parts half way through the day!

i heard about the water line problem with the heads, and someone was saying that the NA and Turbo heads would not be interchangable so it wouldnt be fixable this way :\

petting in the new engine and gearbox, so far i have a needed parts list of

2x exhaust ehader gasket

oil

coolant

tranny oil

im sure im missing a lot out, especially if ill be swapping the heads over with the turbo heads.

im also guessing that ill have to take the turbo heads of prior to the engine swap to get them machined?

ta,

Damon

yeah awesome :) depending on the condition of the heads in my turbo engine ill just take the heads off that and put them onto the mpfi engine, as ill be taking the heads off to redo the gaskets before i put the engine in anyway..

how difficult would it be to drill the NA heads if i dont end up using the turbo heads? much skill required?

bit of a bump..

i just went n picked up the engine, now im more leaning towards keeping it NA as there is a fair bit more work required to turbo it..

what i really need to know is wether ill be able to drill n tap the head myself, or wether to get a machinist to do it.. if anyone has any info or diagrams it would be awesome because i cant really picture what needs to be done.

would use the heads outta the turbo engine but they are crap and would need a full service which would be more $$ than just drilling the NA ones.

also been told that ill need the water pump from the turbo engine as they are different.

thanks for any help, im really need to get as much info as possible as i wanna start this asap

ta,

Damon