Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Inevitable Wintertime Legacy Air Conditioning Question

I have a '92 Legacy Wagon with an air conditioning system dysfunction...after about 5-10 minutes running(in either "AC"or "Defrost" mode). I start to get a weird series of pops & clicks from a place that sound directly behind the glove compartment.....it sounds like a switch or cycling mode on the compressor. I've already replaced the ac compressor switch and diagnoses have ranged from "system's low on freon" to "ac compressor switch is bad again" to "heating system baffle door switch is shot".

Any ideas? Anyone with a similar problem? Thanks! Mark

I have a '92 Legacy Wagon with an air conditioning system dysfunction...after about 5-10 minutes running(in either "AC"or "Defrost" mode). I start to get a weird series of pops & clicks from a place that sound directly behind the glove compartment.....it sounds like a switch or cycling mode on the compressor. I've already replaced the ac compressor switch and diagnoses have ranged from "system's low on freon" to "ac compressor switch is bad again" to "heating system baffle door switch is shot".

Any ideas? Anyone with a similar problem? Thanks! Mark

Funny, mine does that too, but I've never thought anything of it....

Not an option on the old-school refrigerant AC used on the 92 I'm afraid.

My '95 A/C would cycle on and off constantly when the system was low on refrigerant. Stopped into a local indy shop and paid $75 for a discharge and recharge. It's worked well since then (last summer).

My 1992 is still R12. Someone put a some dye in it a eyar and a bit ago before I bought it to test for leakage, or so the little yellow note attached tells me. Also says do not refill.

What are the system pressures?

Have you checked to see if you have R12 or R134a? I forget when they switched to 134a.

So what's the final diagnosis here? I ask because I need to know what to do with mine. If my compressor is always running it explains why I get the occasional driveway water drip on a dry day as well as the annoying clicking behind the dash despite the AC being off in January in Seattle. This might help gas mileage too....