Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust backpressure

I'm becoming more familiar with the exhaust on my GL -- started with a rattle that I isolated to the front cat. I disassembled the Y-pipe and heat shields checking for other leaks and rattles, and satsified myself that all is in good condition. I've also inspected the mid-pipe and muffler sections (on the car), and it's in good shape.

Nice to live in the pacific northwest where we have constant bathwater conditions to flush off the rust :D

Anyway, here's my question. On the weekend I ran it up to temperature, and held a rag tight against the exhaust tip. I know the backpressure is supposed to cause the engine to lose power and maybe even die..... But nothing happened. It kept purring away without even losing idle speed. I held the rag there for at least 10 secs.

Went under the car again while idling, and nothing's leaking.

I did this just out of curiosity, and now the curiosity is killing me.... What's going on? Isn't backpressure supposed to kill the engine?

-- Mark

well, I don't know if a rag will stop the engine or not, but a friggin board of wood would.

Plus, I don't know that you want to do that... if you're exhaust isn't completely 100% awesome, you might blow a gasket or hurt something.

I say inspect the heads, and all the sections of exhaust from looking into them.