Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback Power Antenna Stays up???

I've got a 98 Legacy Outback that has the rear quarter power antenna. Its in the up position. I take it the power comes from the radio and it should go down when the radio is off. Its a stock 6 disk CD/Tape/AM/FM/WB Subaru unit.

Any ideas on the power checks. The antenna has a 3 wire connector but not power at the pins with the radio on or off.

For mine I used my haynes manual to trace the wires, as I could not find a universal connector for my aftermarket POS stereo. I distinctly recall a wire for power antenna. Can't speak for newer legacies though, but I imagine it to be the same. Probably a bad connection between the stereo and antenna I imagine.

I've got a 98 Legacy Outback that has the rear quarter power antenna. Its in the up position. I take it the power comes from the radio and it should go down when the radio is off. Its a stock 6 disk CD/Tape/AM/FM/WB Subaru unit.

Any ideas on the power checks. The antenna has a 3 wire connector but not power at the pins with the radio on or off.

Have you checked all the fuses- especially the one in the engine compartment.

Do your hazard flashers work? The hazard flashers and the power antenna are on the same fuse on the 98 legacy - possibly the outback is the same. The first time my antenna stopped working, it was the fuse.

The second time, it was the wire between the engine compartment fuse box and the kickpanel fuse box that had gone bad.

John C.

It is likely that the power antenna assembly itself is failing. Same thing happened on our '98 Legacy Outback. Antenna would periodically just stay up. Attempted to disassemble and repair it (it's really not meant to be disassembled or repaired and you wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that builds up inside one over the years) but that didn't work. It's a throw-away world we live in---if you want to fix it and be done with it just replace the entire assembly. Purchased ours from 1stSubaruparts.com for substantially less than local dealer. Removal and installation is really very easy once the left rear luggage area trim is loosened and pulled back.................