Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions, losing water, no apparent signs

I just bought a vortex xt turbo ea82 motor and wiring loom ect from a guy who put the jap spec motor in his vortex. (his car is a weapon):slobber:

Now, he said that it was using a little water (not much), but no steam from exhaust, no bubbles in radiator and no oil in water, where else could it go?

Also, when he tried to remove the intake, he broke two of the studs off, the longest ones closest to the middle, luckily they protude out of the block.

What should i do?

1. remove intake and fix bolts, fit new manifold gaskets, and see how it goes

2. remove heads, renew headgaskets ect (dont really wanna do this if i dont have to)

Im open to suggestions

Cheers in advance

Gannon

Any tips for removing the broken studs

whatever you do, don't use a freaking bolt extractor, easy-out, those things SUCK. they break all the time and are even harder to get out if they're in deep.

intake bolts suck really bad, i've had a ton of these break off. soak them with liquid wrench of PB Blaster (WD40 is not a good alternative). tap them with a hammer (to help break down some of the corrosion internally) and liberally spray them down for a number of days before attempting to remove them. they can be a real bear if you try to get them out without any preparation (even after that they can suck).

here is the sure fire way to get it out. the best option i've found is to partially thread a nut onto the stud or lay it ontop of the stud and weld it to the stud. then use your wrench (after lots of penetrating oil). a few minutes of prep with spraying penetrant mentioned above and a very simple weld can save hours of wrestling with these things in alternate ways. if you can't weld, have someone do it for you. if you don't know anyone, find someone. this takes literally like 3 minutes to do and has worked every time. even better is that this method is the quickest and easiest that i've tried.

take it from me and don't do anything but the above method. i've done this dozens of times and multiple different ways. there are other methods that may work, but can make your day painfully long too.