Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad trans won't move '98 OBW in FWD mode

Bought my '98 OBW about a month ago with a "bad trans". The car shuttered very badly when I moved it in the driveway. I ordered and picked up a used trans last week, but decided to mess around with this trans one last time before pulling it. I drained the fluid , which was almost black, and refilled with fresh. Then I put the FWD fuse in... and the car didn't want to move at all. Pulling the fuse out the car tried to move, but the trans was slipping badly. So, I'm not sure what I was expecting (maybe miracle trans repair), but it was one last move around the driveway before the engine and trans come out for a swap. Hopefully the replacement works a bit better.

Steve H.

Thanks for the ideas. The pan looks to be in good shape, and I think that after draining the trans I filled it with about 6 Qts. fresh fluid. After warming it up for a few minutes, the fluid was at the proper level on the dipstick. Along with slipping badly, the trans still makes a grinding sound when trying to put it in park, so it's getting swapped nomatter what. I may disassemble the thing once the rest of the project is done.

Steve H.

one of the most common issues (though not "common", it's all relative) with these transmissions are the clutch packs. you could remove the rear extension housing (has the clutch packs in it) and save that in case yours ever has *issues*. if it does, swap in the rear housing/clutches from the old trans.

install an aftermarket trans cooler with your new trans and rest better!