Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ya get a set of Nokian WR's? Did your MPG go down?

Hi ALL!

I just had to put a set of Nokian WR's on my '97 GT Legacy Wgn. It's seems that my MPG has gone down (just judging by the needle for now) !? I've only got 250 miles on them. Maybe it's a break in thing! Anyone else have a set of these on? What's your milage?

Many Thanks, SubeeTed

I didn't notice any decrease with them on my Legacy wagon, but they're 15s and not 16s. Maybe you're driving a bit more agressively.:burnout:Also, does your gas carry 10% ethanol for the winter season? That drags my gas mileage down about 10%.

I think some tires are definitely geared for low rolling resistance, while others are geared toward better driving.

When I swapped the OEM RE-92 for RE-950, my mileage went down a bit, but the cornering G's went up a lot.

As far as the loosening up thing, it does seem like some of my fuel economy returned now that I got about 40k miles on 'em.

**** ******!

I think some tires are definitely geared for low rolling resistance, while others are geared toward better driving.

When I swapped the OEM RE-92 for RE-950, my mileage went down a bit, but the cornering G's went up a lot.

As far as the loosening up thing, it does seem like some of my fuel economy returned now that I got about 40k miles on 'em.

**** ******!

Exactly, every new car in US is sold with low rolling resistance tire to help with CAFE. Most tires you buy in tire shop are not LLR-rated, especially the

high grip ones. Looking for silica based thread helps as it decreases rolling resistance.