Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I am a an owner of a 2006 Outback 2.5i. We have had it for a little over 2 months and so far all is well. Very nice car. The vehicle is approaching 3000 miles. The owners manual calls for the first oil change at 7500 miles for the 2.5i models and 3000 for the turbo and 3.0 models. At the time of purchase, the dealership stated that the 2.5i model also needed the first oil change at 3000. The my.subaru website for also calls for the first change at 7500 miles. What are some of your thoughts on the topic.

It wouldn't hurt to change it at 3k miles after the intitial break-in period. But following manufacturer's (your owner's manual) will not void any warranties.

Dealers are in the business of making money, and they make most of their money on sale of parts and accessories, service, and warranty contracts. In other words, it is in their interests to get you in as often as possible.

Depending on your driving habits, the manufacturer's guidelines are usually fine.

factory oil has special additives that seal and protect the engine, you shouldent change it until 7500. my dads 4cyl. 03' accord doesnt need its oil changed until 10k and it been running fine for 50k so far

Thanks for the replies. I had planned on following the manual, but as the odometer ticked closer to 3000 miles, I figured I had better do some more research on the topic. Any issues with switching to Mobil 1 at the 7500 oil change? This is what I plan on doing and the dealership is fine with it, however, I have heard mechanics say this is too soon. I also have an 03 Honda Odyssey that I put on Mobil 1 at the first change and have no problems.

I'm not sure I agree with that OBW97. Factory oil is just oil, most likely not full synth.

Danish service books say a first oil change at 3k and then 7.5 k from there, for the turbo and 3.0 models.

Others just get the 7.5 from the start.

Odd, no so long ago - 3 years - Subaru was still insisting on first changes at 1000 miles.

I pulled the factory oil outta my '06 WRX at 2200. My wife's OBW I think git changed at about 1600. I think, if you look around at the schedules at www.cars101.com , they show 3K for the initial change and 7500 after that UNLESS severe service is encountered.

Since the rings may not seal well in a brand new engine, the original oil will lilkely contain more dissolved combustion byproducts from blowby. It will likely have the highest readings of other stuff (metals, silicon,etc.) as any oil analysis done for the next 100,000 miles . you might enjoy reading more about oil at www.bobistheoilguy.com .

Possibly the moly is in some assembly greases/coatings. I dunno.

Anyway, I can find no soob schedule that doesn't show the first change at 3K.

I have also seen the cars101.com website and indeed it does mention 3K for all models. However, the owners manual clearly stated 7500 for the 2.5 non-turbo engine. Logging onto mysubaru.com also indicates 7500. I certainly am not against changing at 3000, but am wondering if there was indeed a benefit to leaving it in 7500 in this engine. There must be a good reason why Subaru is recommending changing at 3000 on the turbo and 3.0 engines.

I have an 06 H6 and I'm about to have the 3000 mile change. We have been doing oil analysis on a number of cars and trucks with mileage from 10,000 to 165,000. Three Subarus, two V8 trucks, a Honda V6, and a Nissan V6. Even at 7,500 mile change intervals, none of the vehicles we've tested (even a 2005 WRX) shows any signs of excess contamination or degradation of the additive packages. We hope to use Mobil I synthetic and good filters and go to 10,000 mile change intervals on everything. Some heavy trucks are extending their drain intervals to 40,000 miles.

I have an 06 H6 and I'm about to have the 3000 mile change. We have been doing oil analysis on a number of cars and trucks with mileage from 10,000 to 165,000. Three Subarus, two V8 trucks, a Honda V6, and a Nissan V6. Even at 7,500 mile change intervals, none of the vehicles we've tested (even a 2005 WRX) shows any signs of excess contamination or degradation of the additive packages. We hope to use Mobil I synthetic and good filters and go to 10,000 mile change intervals on everything. Some heavy trucks are extending their drain intervals to 40,000 miles.

Cool info.

If you send the H6's 3K oil in for analysis - um, could you post it for us?

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer calls me to make certain that I'm aware that my '05 OBW needs its 12,000 mile oil change. Warranty book says I don't need oil change till 15,000 miles.

Let me ask you this: If I had bought into the "free" oil change deal when I bought the car, would the dealer be asking me to bring it in for an oil change on them at 12,000 miles?

Juan

Dealer calls me to make certain that I'm aware that my '05 OBW needs its 12,000 mile oil change. Warranty book says I don't need oil change till 15,000 miles.

Let me ask you this: If I had bought into the "free" oil change deal when I bought the car, would the dealer be asking me to bring it in for an oil change on them at 12,000 miles?

Juan

1. You wouldn't get a call

2. If you missed bringing it in by 1 mile - your warranty is shot!

It's BS. One service guy at Manchester NH Subaru told me that, "While they don't have it in writing," SOA doesn't recommend using synthetic oil in VVT engines. Another guy, same dealer, says, "We sell it - people use it all the time." SOA confirmed in writing that there's no problem but you can't extend the drain interval.

Dealers try and sell "packages" when you go in for services at designated mileages. So instead of getting an oil change for $30 you get an Inspection Package for $99 - which includes the oil change and about 10 minutes of visual inspection, if they even do it.