Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One trick I've seen done (never tried it) to minimize the problem is to splice a fuel filter into each PCV line.

You'll need three: one between each valve cover and the air box, and one more between the PCV valve and the air box. Those small, see-through glass-bodied ones (for hot-rod roadsters) that use a fine nylon mesh would be good.

This'll keep the crankcase oil-mist and blowby gasses from backing up into into the airbox and then getting sucked past the throttle-blade every time you go full throttle.

**** ******!

One trick I've seen done (never tried it) to minimize the problem is to splice a fuel filter into each PCV line.

You'll need three: one between each valve cover and the air box, and one more between the PCV valve and the air box. Those small, see-through glass-bodied ones (for hot-rod roadsters) that use a fine nylon mesh would be good.

This'll keep the crankcase oil-mist and blowby gasses from backing up into into the airbox and then getting sucked past the throttle-blade every time you go full throttle.

**** ******!

Thanks. Sounds like a worth while project.

I did this on my old 90 Grand Am. The fuel filter on my PCV hose definately got some snotty looking blow-by slime stuff in it. This seemed to help the TB stay more clean.

:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 03 Outback wagon 4 cyl. On the cool mornings my pedal sticks till I give it a bit more pressure then it goes away till the next morning. Sounds similar to your problem. I thought it was the cables. I greased them with no sucess. Anybody have a link on how to clean the throttle body?

Thanks John

I bought some throttle body cleaner at autozone and just sprayed it in there. It took the gunk right off. I opened and closed it a bit to get both sides. I suppose I could have also taken a toothbrush or something to it. Be careful to not put in too much at a time, though. I had to crank my car for about ten seconds before it started.

It's pretty straightforward. Take off the plastic cover, loosen the hose clamp that attaches the intake to the throttle body with an 8mm socket,

dsc023386bu.jpg

and spray some TB cleaner in.

dsc023393nk.jpg

Oh boy that's a dirty engine bay.

I used this stuff.

dsc023373vr.jpg

You might accidentally pull out the pcv hoses so make sure they're attached after you put everything back together.

I hope you guys aren't talking about the black goo around the throttle plate...

That's SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!! That helps seal the throttle plate shut when you're off the gas, so that the IAC valve can properly regulate idle.

If you clean that goo off, you will have idle problems.

In my opinion, don't ever clean the throttle body or IAC valves on these cars. They're non-serviceable, non-cleanable parts. Messing with them will only screw them up.

That's SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!! That helps seal the throttle plate shut when you're off the gas, so that the IAC valve can properly regulate idle.

In my opinion, don't ever clean the throttle body or IAC valves on these cars. They're non-serviceable, non-cleanable parts. Messing with them will only screw them up.

lol and i always thought that black goo was dirt or oil coming from somewhere oops...:-\

hmm well I am not having any idle problems. I didn't look in there and notice any goo, I just thought a quick shot with tb cleaner might help.

I have an 03 Outback wagon 4 cyl. On the cool mornings my pedal sticks till I give it a bit more pressure then it goes away till the next morning. Sounds similar to your problem. I thought it was the cables. I greased them with no sucess.
My '02 has a stickyness to the throttle cable. It's not sticky to the extent that it would hang open or anything, but just sticky enough so it's difficult to drive smoothly sometimes.

**** ******!

I think Josh first brought that up. The conclusion was that, if so*, it was only for the very first model year Legacies. For example, I cleaned both my IAC and throttle body causing no idle problem whatsoever (96 2.2L).

* My opinion on that is that a throttle plate needing goo to close properly would be a very poor design.

The conclusion was that, if so, it was only for the very first model year Legacies.

That could be a possibility.

If your throttle plate has a lot of black goo on it, I suggest you not wash it off.

Your throttle body shouldn't be getting THAT dirty anyway. Little, if any, carbon deposits should be on it, because it's doing nothing but inducting clean air from your air filter. The gas fumes entering the throttle body from the EVAP system are negligible.