Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble Shooting Help - Engine Codes 34 & 35

Well after much success using this forum for pulling the codes I figure it can't hurt to hit up the the forum experts for some trouble shooting tips.

For background I just picked up a 2wd '92 Loyale 5spd with the original motor and tranny at 230k miles :eek: It was a one owner subaru, but it does need a bit of TLC... okay... a lot of TLC.

It looks like I've got a "34" (EGR Solenoid or Circuit) and a "35" (Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit). I checked the Haynes manual so I have a pretty good idea how to trouble shoot the EGR Solenoid, but I don't even know where the Purge Control Solenoid is much less what it does :confused:

Is it significant that both these errors are occuring at the same time? I find it hard to believe that both solenoids went out at the same time which makes me worry that this might be the "...or circuit" part of the code. :-\

Any ideas/tips before I get started? I'm planning on working on this over the weekend...

Thanks for reading...

It looks like I've got a "34" (EGR Solenoid or Circuit) and a "35" (Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit). I checked the Haynes manual so I have a pretty good idea how to trouble shoot the EGR Solenoid, but I don't even know where the Purge Control Solenoid is much less what it does :confused:

Is it significant that both these errors are occuring at the same time?.

My experience with these solinoids is that they don't last long. I get toyota or honda soliniods from a scrapyard and put them in. Subaru 'noids ~ 2 years, Toyota >10 years, still working. You have to adapt wires, and figure the vaccume lines, and bracket, but pretty simple.

The purge 'noid is near the EGR one. It pulls the gas fumes from the charcoal canister that catches them instead of letting them evaporate into the atmosphere.

Unplug the connector and use an ohmeter to see if the coil is open, the usual failure. Or hook 12 V to the 2 contacts and listen for the click.

Dave