Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overheating

Hey Everybody,

I have gl-10 1.8turbo 1089. I have problem with cooling system. Changed termostat yesterday, but still overheating. Temperarute seems OK If I'm driving on freeway, but goas up if I'm driving in the city, traffic or similar slow ride. If I pullover and check engine, can't see any leeks or steem come in out. I found out today, that other fan which turns only with higher temperature doesn't work. Could be that fan the problem? Also I live in Lynnwood, WA so if someone would know older Subarus, we could may meet and see what's up. I don't really understand cars so any help is awesome. Thank you so much for your answers and hope, that nothing will happened to your Subaru.

Kristian

yes, with the turbo engines, they creat much more heat then NA engines do. I would get that fan fixed ASAP cause if it overheats too much, then you'll crack a head or blow a headgasket. Much more expensive and time consuming to fix.

There a quite a few board members in your area. Hopefully they can pipe in and possibly help you out a bit.

Thank's

yes, with the turbo engines, they creat much more heat then NA engines do. I would get that fan fixed ASAP cause if it overheats too much, then you'll crack a head or blow a headgasket. Much more expensive and time consuming to fix.

There a quite a few board members in your area. Hopefully they can pipe in and possibly help you out a bit.

Its pretty easy to test the fan... to see if it is non-working, or if it is the sensor that is supposed to turn it on is non working. Coming from the fan, you should find 2 wires that go to a plug. If you undo the plug, you can connect these 2 wires directly to the battery (one on + and one on -) and see if it spins. I usually just use some scrap wire I have laying around to do this.

Hi, I tested yesterday and switch is out. I'm going to buy a new switch and will flush the cooling system. We will see what will happened. I will be in the Bothell so may we could meet sometime.

Thank's for help anyway.

K.

P.S. I don't know if you got it, but I sended you message.

Its pretty easy to test the fan... to see if it is non-working, or if it is the sensor that is supposed to turn it on is non working. Coming from the fan, you should find 2 wires that go to a plug. If you undo the plug, you can connect these 2 wires directly to the battery (one on + and one on -) and see if it spins. I usually just use some scrap wire I have laying around to do this.

Hey,

tahnk's! I did send second message. I found "Milk shake" in my oil so that's it, I think. Now, replace the engine or trying fix the head. I don't know. What do you think? Could you possibly take a look? I'm just screw now.

Anyway, you have a good day and let me know.

Kristian

Cool, definately get the new switch then. Better than ghetto rigging it to be always on. I got the first message you sent... did you send a second? Let me know how things go with flushing the system, and replacing that switch.

Honestly, your best bet at this point would be to take it to Smart Service.

http://www.smart-service.com/ They will be able to tell you exactly what your options are. Either new engine (used japanese maybe?) or repair headgaskets. Tell them Tex, Dan's roomate sent you. Probally won't get a discount, but it might!

Unfortunately, I am probally the LAST person you want to look at the car at this point. I have a bad track record with headgaskets.

Hey Man,

thank's a lot! I've heard about smart service. Well, I will talk to them and we will see.

Kristian

Honestly, your best bet at this point would be to take it to Smart Service.

http://www.smart-service.com/ They will be able to tell you exactly what your options are. Either new engine (used japanese maybe?) or repair headgaskets. Tell them Tex, Dan's roomate sent you. Probally won't get a discount, but it might!

Unfortunately, I am probally the LAST person you want to look at the car at this point. I have a bad track record with headgaskets.