Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid unlit lock switch in 05 OBW! Illuminate with LED?

One thing that aggrevates me in my 05 OBW 2.5i Limited is that the stupid lock switches are unlit! I hate the fact that I can't SEE if the doors are locked or unlocked and I can never remember which way to throw the switch to lock/unlock!

I've been thinking about surface-mounting an LED (with appropriate resistor) in the doorwell near the door handle and wiring it to the headlights.

Has anyone done this?

Let me guess, you've already gone to Home Depot/Lowes to install illuminated light switches in your house...

There are things that Subaru used to do to keep their costs down in their older wagons. As a long time Subie owner, I've just learned to cope with the short cuts on the interior. Having an aftermarket interior light and carrying a small makeup mirror for a wife/girlfriend for starters : )

Of course, you could pay twice as much for an Audi AWD wagon to get all the nice touches but you'll rarely get to enjoy them as your Audi will be in the shop all the time. My local Audi dealer has an airport style minibus for their service customers!