Ultimate Subaru Message Board

poject JUNKYARDBRAT need suggestions

well, i am working on my next project, which will be called "JUNKYARDBRAT":cool: but i need some suggestions. here are some pics: http://photobucket.com/albums/d118/ruppenduro/JUNKYARDBRAT/?sc=5

(its an 86)

i am into it for a little over a grand already, which is not usually where i like to be for a car in this kind of shape, although it still is very solid, there is only 4 or 5 little spots of rust on the whole car, none of which are structural. it runs pretty good, i just have to put on a new y-pipe gasket to get rid of an exhaust leak, but other than that, its pretty smooth. the interior really isn`t bad, i just had to take out the carpet. everything seems to work so far.

so what do you guys think i should do with it.....

finish putting it back together, leave the panels rainbow colored and drive it:brow: different colors add character right??

do some body work on it and have maaco paint it for around $400

sell it and hope to get my $$ back

i`m open to any suggestions.

thanks

Jon in NY

ps. for all of you that have given me a hard time, THIS is why i like buying cars from the west. the 78 brat from AZ put this Maine brat to shame.

whatever you do ...poke around the wheel wells inside the bed.you will most likely find rust,when you do sit down,drink a beer and imagine what it will take you to fix it.if it is to much then you should turn it into a beast.if not then flip it up ,paint it and rub it down.:banana:

yeah, i am definatly going to treat the rust quick, i already bought some rust converter, have you ever used that?

the inner fender wells are actually very solid, as are the shock mounts and the frame rails.

i lift would be nice:brow: i just hate to put another $400 into it:-\

yeah, i am definatly going to treat the rust quick, i already bought some rust converter, have you ever used that?

Don't waste your time with the converter, it won't last long. Spend your hard earned money on some POR-15. Follow the directions to a T and your rust worries will be over. Had a rust bucket that resembled a Trooper when I bought it, redid the frame, wheel wells, and the floorpanels with it. Then sold it to a guy in Poughkeepsie NY before I moved south. He has yet to see any hint of rust on the undercarriage. He gets compliments regularly on how nice and clean his semi-gloss black frame is.

Trust me... time, energy and Yankee ingenuity will make it a great car. Fix it and sell it... you bought it, can you imagine the bucks when you make it pretty?

Don't take my advice... once mine are pretty and run great, I can't let them go, I keep them and drive them on an alternating schedule. That's a bad thing :(

yeah, i wouldn`t mind having a bunch of pretty ones, but i usually end up looking for more....then buying more......then spending all my money.......then having to sell one to get out of debt, and the circle of subarus keeps going on. i like the Wa and Or cars, they seem to hold up the best. i will probly bring a couple more soobs from over there this year. there are MANY cars that go through my driveway each year, subarus are just the ones i hold on to for a while, but buying and selling is what i have done for years. anyway,

take care,

Jon

ps. Mary, i wish this one could look like your red 86:brow:

Don't waste your time with the converter, it won't last long. Spend your hard earned money on some POR-15. Follow the directions to a T and your rust worries will be over. Had a rust bucket that resembled a Trooper when I bought it, redid the frame, wheel wells, and the floorpanels with it. Then sold it to a guy in Poughkeepsie NY before I moved south. He has yet to see any hint of rust on the undercarriage. He gets compliments regularly on how nice and clean his semi-gloss black frame is.

Yes por is great stuff,simple to use.All of the suspension is por15 on my project brat. The engine and trans I did with por15 engine enamel. http://www.por15.com/