Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Add cargo light to Loyale wagon?

I remember reading that GLs had a cargo light, I assume in the hatch part of a wagon model. Does anyone know how easy it would be to add one to a Loyale? Was it just a second dome light in the back? Is the mounting hardware or wiring harness there on a Loyale?

The wiring wasn't there in my Australian DL EA82. I just ran some wires to the centre interior light. The cargo light and centre light turn on whenever a door is open.

The good news is that there is a hole for it - and the screw holes are all there. You will have to do some careful cutting in your hood lining. Mine worked out well.

Incidentally can anyone tell me if the front interior spotlights (in front of the rear view mirror) are supposed to turn on when the doors open? Or are they strictly a "switch only" affair?

I installed the map light and cargo light in my 93 loyale wagon. I bought a set from a 87 wagon off of Ebay. I felt & guesstimated where the maplight went by feeling the roof headliner for the factory cut-out. I made a small hole in the roofliner and carefully opened it up for fit. There is screw holes in the cutout that matched up to the light. For the cargo light, I popped the headliner in the back loose and found the cutout for it and made my hole in the headliner. I ran wire from the center light to feed both front and back lights. I tied in the back light so it comes on when any door or hatch is open...