Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester thread, anyone?

It's really nice that every other poster seems to love his or her OBW or WRX or XYZ but we just bought an '06 Forester and so far it's just the peach. How come no one posts about their Foresters? Would like to pick the brains of anyone willing, there are a couple of things about it I want to chew on. Or just rave about them for a while.

Have a 2004 with 54000 trouble free miles. Its been a rattle trap since day one but its a wagon so you have to expect that. Have a 1997 Legacy GT that I've had since new that is my daily driver that I llike alot more. But its a sedan and much quieter.

It's really nice that every other poster seems to love his or her OBW or WRX or XYZ but we just bought an '06 Forester and so far it's just the peach. How come no one posts about their Foresters? Would like to pick the brains of anyone willing, there are a couple of things about it I want to chew on. Or just rave about them for a while.

Forester thread would be nice. I have a 2003XS. Best car I've ever owned and first SUV. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. :banana:

My thoughts on the Forester, although I've never owned one. Great SUV, if Fuji had a lick of sense they would build a light pickup using the Forester body.

That Photo Chop marvel from OZ, phinzina, or summit like that did one, and it looks perfect. If they would build it *I* would buy it.

i have a 99 forester with 70k on it. lots of problems in the last year. replaced rear oil seperator cover (need to pull tranny) to fix horrid oil leak. replaced rocker gaskets to repair oil leak. need to replace front cam seals to fix oil leak. replaced pass rear wheel bearing. at hesitates shifting into D. replaced front pass cv boot. dont buy a 99. will make you appreciate GM.

larry

I had a 99 Forester with 200,000 miles on it. I must have had my mojo going because the TOTAL for non-normal maintenance repairs was $175.00 (I installed two ball joints and a rebuilt axle) So, I bought a new 06 Forester last month. So far, I like it. 2,000 miles down, 198,0000 to go.

Basically its the same car as the 99, but with much appreciated refinements.

The stupid cup holder over the stereo is gone. The car now has a built in arm rest for the driver's right arm. Remote open, cruise control, and alarm are now standard. A locking gas cap flap has been added. Hey, there's an outdoor temperature gauge. If a stranded blue whale ever needs to have a rectal temperature taken, this car can do the job. A little more horsepower. And yes, I am getting a mile or two better mpg with the 06.

Downs

Temporary spare-big down, no more leg room in the back, just a crappy, cheesy spare

Same horrible standard speakers, the worst in the car biz.

Nasty mesh map holder compartments

DRLs, do I suddenly live in Canada?

All in all, the 06 is nicely improved over the 99.

My still very strong '99 with 135000 mostly 70+ mph is closing in on the best car I've owned (a mixed bag, to say the least, commencing with a '58 Morris Minor...). Only non-routine items: failed viscous coupling unit and (fortunately) contemperaneous failed trans. output shaft bearing at about 120000 mi., so far cured by a replacement used transaxel, and 4 (!) cracked windshields (any stats. out there?), fortunately replaced by insurance under MD law. Come git me, headgaskets! I defy you, rear wheel bearings!! Ah, hahahahaha... -- George

hi guys

i have a manual tramissioned forester, engine 2 liter, year 1999 (until the new turbo forester with the 2.5 liter engine, all of the foresters sold in israel were 2 liter).

i just replaced the engine to a turbo engine (the same volume) as in the inpreza GT, together with an engine managing computer. the operation is still on (sensors, exaust etc.) but already now the engine works like hell.

for recieving the power in lower rpm (more usefull off-road and in "normal" driving conditions, i will replace the turbo to a smaller one.

i also ordered a lifting kit. my car is already lifted (47mm) by a body-lift kit, but this gives me extra hight only.

the new kit has 4 loger and stronger springs (2" lift) with 4 longer and adjustable koni sport shocks. this gives me extra stroke, with better behavior.

the next project is the transmission and the front diff. the long "low" range will be shortened (an australian workshop called "scorpion subaru" is working on this issue). in the same operation i will "plant" a LSD called "phantomgrip" in the front diff. i already did this in the rear diff and it works ok.

the goal is: 3 lsd's (including the original lsd in the central diff).

thank you for your patience...

MJJ, I have a two week old Forester 2.5XT that I use for work. Only 700 miles on it so far.

Feel free to bring on the questions :D

I serviced an '05 XT yesterday, molded bodycolor mudflaps and all. What a sleeper! :slobber:Hood scoop, 2.5XT badge on the back hatch, chrome exhaust tip, and some mundane looking alloys are all that give it away! And you can't see the hood scoop from the back!:burnout::grin::headbang:

Just purchased 06 turbo forester 3 weeks ago. Good fit and finish in and out. Incredible handling and stability for an suv. 23.8 mpg. Only complaints are lousy cup-holders and a harmonic noise from around the dash at 75-80 mph caused by wind it sounds almost like an electronic beep . I thought it was an alarm at first but verified it as wind noise while driving in high crosswinds. Any one with same problem let me know how it was fixed..Thanks Cobalt

Cobalt, sounds like the wipers. Try tapping them up, so the wind won't whistle through them. Temporarily of course, just to locate the noise.

Attached picture is of the allen mentioned above.

:burnout:

Thanks Setright; I`ll do that next time I`m headed for the freeway.

I`ll keep you posted! cobalt

Does anyone besides me think that the front of the '06 Forester looks like E.T.?

:cool: dxr; I think the 06 forester front-end and rear end looks brilliantly functional. I read one comment by a well known car reporter "the hood scoop looks cartoonish" Having bought the 06 turbo 2.5 dohc turbo XT I am completly satisfied with the way it looks and even more impressed by the way it performs and handles. The 2.5 dohc motor is very quiet and quick revving even under load. The 4 wheel independent suspension makes you feel like you`re on rails and there is no sway or dipping even on concrete hiways with seams. The leather upholstery is first class and the layout and storage is well thought out. I already love the auto climate control you set it and forget it. First 2 tanks of gas @ 23.8 mpg. I don`t know if that is good or not. The estimates are 23 to 28 mpg.We love the huge sun-roof which we had partially open on a 128 mile trip yesterday. This is a fun experience to drive this vehicle even if some think it looks like 'ET" or cartoonish. There is a saying in the design profession " if it looks right , it is right" I think the P-51 mustang looks right, I think the `49 caddy looks right, I think the `53 mercedes gullwing looks right, and so does the `o6 Forester.

:cool: dxr; I think the 06 forester front-end and rear end looks brilliantly functional. I read one comment by a well known car reporter "the hood scoop looks cartoonish" Having bought the 06 turbo 2.5 dohc turbo XT I am completly satisfied with the way it looks and even more impressed by the way it performs and handles. The 2.5 dohc motor is very quiet and quick revving even under load. The 4 wheel independent suspension makes you feel like you`re on rails and there is no sway or dipping even on concrete hiways with seams. The leather upholstery is first class and the layout and storage is well thought out. I already love the auto climate control you set it and forget it. First 2 tanks of gas @ 23.8 mpg. I don`t know if that is good or not. The estimates are 23 to 28 mpg.We love the huge sun-roof which we had partially open on a 128 mile trip yesterday. This is a fun experience to drive this vehicle even if some think it looks like 'ET" or cartoonish. There is a saying in the design profession " if it looks right , it is right" I think the P-51 mustang looks right, I think the `49 caddy looks right, I think the `53 mercedes gullwing looks right, and so does the `o6 Forester.

I don't have a problem with the way it looks, it's just that with the new headlight design, I think it has an ET look. In fact, I LOVE the 2.5XT because it's such a sleeper! See my subsequent post.

Yep, loving the climate control and storage space too!

The front end look did take some getting used to for me. Now I really like it, just needed time to learn the design "language".

AND, the suspension is much better calibrated than the 2005 model. I can't believe how little squat and dive there is. I test a drove an 05 model a year ago and it seemed to tip onto it's front bumper during braking.

• 3 years later...

Singing the praises of the Forester...had an '01 that we traded for a '09 Honda CRV, brand new car. It lasted nine months before we traded for an '04 2.5 XT. The Forester fits us perfectly. I loved the '01 and thought it pretty quick for a station wagon (SUV), but the turbo is a whole new game.

One problem: tight left turns have begun to make a grinding noise. Worn ball joint? It just started so I haven't had time to investigate. Any troubleshooting tips are appreciated.

I hated that damn Honda...