Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which synthetic oil is best for 5 speed

Would appreciate some help from others. Have heard in the distant past there were many problems with Subaru 5 speed trans running synthetic oil, and trashing the final drive gears. Is anyone out there running synthetic oil in their 5 speed, and if so, what year of car and what brand of synthetic? Thank you in advance.

I am using redline mt90 ad 1qt of valvoline syncromesh.....I had 2nd and 3rd grind......I still have 2nd and 3rd grind.......I am going to use the cocktail on nosiac next (once it gets warm).....This is only if the warm weather of spring doesn't yield good results with my current oil.

Plain ole' dino will always work. Only problem is cold weather shifting.

Last change I put in Redline Ultralight shockproof. Mustard colored. I also tried the MT90 with grinding results. Same with Mobil-1. So I went back to dino. That was in MY02 Forester. Now in MY04, back in Sept.05 at the 30K interval, I put in the ultralight. Shifts easily ALL the time...Warm...Cold....and no gear crunching....

End of my $.02