Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires, rims, rubbing

For those that have done the 5-lug conversion, I have three questions.

1) What size tires are you running?

2) What kind of rims?

3) Any rubbing?

I have 195/60/15 snow tires on 8 oval hole outback rims ('98). Going slow, 10-15 mph, over a small dip, straight, both sides bottom out and rub on the top of the fender. Also when cornering at speed I get slight rubbing. This combo is only an inch larger in diameter than stock. Although like some, the conversion has appeared to lower the front quite a bit. I will have some pictures in a few days.

Thanks,

Jay

its possible you can make a about 2 inches of SUSPENSION lift in the rear. you can drop the diff hanger and make strut extensions the same length, keeping the axles and diff and hups in the same relation to eachother. if it goes hight enough, you can make a drop shackle for the diff thru-bolt mount to ease the angle on teh driveshaft

as it is on the 87 rx with te 205/55 16 inch chevy 6 lugs!

having it up in the back a little will also raise the front up a little bit, too

Morgan,

The struts ride great. At least way better than the garbage I took off of the car, no bouncing. I know the drop is normal for the conversion. I think that gravelrx has done the conversion and is running 205/50/15 tires. I would like to know the type of rims and if they rub anywhere.

All in all I can live w/ a little rubbing. I would like to raise the front up about an inch thou and/or lower the rear an inch.

Jay

• 1 month later...

Just saw this message. yeah, 205/50 15's fit. The clearance on the outside of the fenders wasn't a problem. It was tire to strut that was close. i bought a used tire and test fit with the 98 OB wheels. Don't remember the offset. I can't get my pinky finger between the tire and strut.( how is that for scientific)

The only rubbing I have encountered is high speed full compression, the top of the tire hits the fender liner.

BTW the tires are Sumitumo HTR 200's. My first set of these, they rated above Yokes on the tire rack, and I like Yokes. We'll see.

Pictures_from_081003_571.sized.jpg

Jay