Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh My Crap!!!!!

Sooo... need a little help here... 92 loyale 4wd automatic. behind the right rear wheelwell under the plastic cladding inside the car there is a fuel system evap thing... 3 hoses go into it the mice chewed through the aft most hose... now my car has gas smell :eek::mad: . so I attempted to replace the hoses (all of them) the aft most one goes to the gas tank.. except when i tryied to remove the hose i snapped off the fitting.... i plugged it for now...

my question is ... can i remove this whole contraption with no ill efect?? or do i need it and have to somehow attach a new fitting to my gas tank.

thanks

dan

Maybe i need to be a little more clear, i broke the fitting off the gas tank. I plugged the hole with a 10/32nds screw wraped in teflon tape. Can i just plug the the other 2 lines and remove the bottle thing in the back of the car? or do i need to do something else?

thanks

dan

My guess is that it's some sort of evap canister. Basically to trap wayward gasoline vapor from the tank. One solution would be to purchase a vented fuel tank cap and then as you sugested plug all the lines and rip the sucker out. Other ideas.... well I would clean up the area where you broke that fitting off, and probably make up a new fitting - can't weld down there without taking the tank off the car, and treating it first, so I would sugest a careful application of JB Weld - it is impervious to fuel, and real strong stuff when used for the right application. Other option.... perhaps use a low-speed drill and tap it for a nipple of some sort - have to look around at what's availible. Have to use your imagination.

GD

The fuel tank is plastic or something similar? If so...

Couldn't you drain the tank, find some kind of plastic or poly fluid fitting at a big hardware store, gently tap it ( I mean thread, not hit ) it into the tank wall after draining the tank, reattach your hose...

If the tank is metal, you can have it repaired at many radiator/gas tank repair shop kind of places easily.

Or, really, there are Soobs like yours from time to time in salvage pick and pull type places around here. I'd go down there, you could take a tank off carefully, they wouldn't charge much. Of course, I don't know how hard to get one off, but can't be THAT hard.

The fuel tank is plastic or something similar? If so...

Couldn't you drain the tank, find some kind of plastic or poly fluid fitting at a big hardware store, gently tap it ( I mean thread, not hit ) it into the tank wall after draining the tank, reattach your hose...

If the tank is metal, you can have it repaired at many radiator/gas tank repair shop kind of places easily.

Or, really, there are Soobs like yours from time to time in salvage pick and pull type places around here. I'd go down there, you could take a tank off carefully, they wouldn't charge much. Of course, I don't know how hard to get one off, but can't be THAT hard.

It can be a real pain - between dropping the rear end out of the way, and getting the filler tube, and all the lines off it, it's got to be one of the messiest underside jobs on a soob.

GD

3 hoses go into it the mice chewed through the aft most hose... now my car has gas smell :eek::mad: .

I'd bet those mice are pretty dang stoned :banana::banana::burnout:

If you're going to weld it, take off the tank first, empty it completely and fill it up with water first - this'll stop it from going boom on ya

...behind the right rear wheelwell under the plastic cladding inside the car there is a fuel system evap thing... 3 hoses go into it the mice chewed through the aft most hose...

If it is what I am thinking of, little canister plumbed in-line right in front of the tank by a bracket, then you can remove it w/ no adverse effect. The lines were all rotted so I removed it and re-did the lines w/ out it. Called my mechanic to verify that it wouldn't be a problem and ran the car like that for 2 yrs. until I sold it.

Craig

That happened to my tank, actually, it rusted the nipples off. I just put in a new tank because the seams were looking questionable. The nipples are actually the end of pipes inside the tank, it's to help stop raw fuel sloshing into the EVAP system. Just JB weld a new nipple onto it, doesn't even have to be in the same spot, just at the top of the tank, and hook the hose to it.

That happened to my tank, actually, it rusted the nipples off. I just put in a new tank because the seams were looking questionable. The nipples are actually the end of pipes inside the tank, it's to help stop raw fuel sloshing into the EVAP system. Just JB weld a new nipple onto it, doesn't even have to be in the same spot, just at the top of the tank, and hook the hose to it.

cool thanks, it looks like it will be easiest to put one in the same spot so that is what i am gonna run with!!

thanks again

dan

Hey while that tank is a subject....

Mine doesn't do anything. Upon following lines to the front of car, I only find the tiny pressure regulator. Do those clog up? Or is it an internal spfi problem in the carb. I shrugged it off thinking it was a surge canister for turbo models, and subaru put it in all of them.