Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thinking about a subaru baja thropy truck style

Does any one have a modified BAJA or pics of any modified BAJA. I am thinking of buying and putting huge fender flares, huge rally tire or mudders, hella's. I don't want to invent the wheel. looking to see what bolt ons are available and when I searched the net.. Nada

I see a thropy style score 1000 real baja. Able to haul my 2 quads around piggy back style

An automatic has clutch packs in the center diff which vary the split from 90-10 to I believe 45-55. It can't actually lock up, however.
that is not correct. splice a switch in-line with Duty Solenoid C and you can lock the rear transfer clutches. i modded mine a couple years ago and others have recently done it as well. seems to work across the board on most 4EAT subaru trans. very simple and it works great. search the forum for more info before this topic gets off topic.

P.S. - if you're looking for hauling capabilities of the Baja, why not get a trailer for your goods? is that a better option than major body modifications. then you can still look into lift kits and larger tires, locking rear diff, etc. i wouldn't expect too much in terms of body flares and such, never seen that. lift kits, if not already available are in the works.

Well, heres my attempt at "posing" with a baja....since I dont ever carry much in the bed during winter months, (and got a tailgate net real cheap) I thought Id be a little different and stash my tailgate in the basement till summer. I think im saving a little gas, and I sure do get a lot of looks. What'd yall think? :cool: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/medium/tailgate1.JPG

that is not correct. splice a switch in-line with Duty Solenoid C and you can lock the rear transfer clutches.

I have a hard time believing that if you are sitting in mud or something stuck and spinning all the tires that the clutches can put up with it. Doesn't the inline switch do the same thing as the tcu when it detects slippage? I was under the impression that the voltage varies from 12 to 0 or something like that and when it's at 0 the clutches are at full "lockup."

In anycase it would be nice to be able to have it set at that when the selector isn't in 1st and I suppose I have some more reading to do.