Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Importing from the US to Canada?

I agree about the price adjustment. Subaru seems to have forgot to check the currency exchange rates in the past 5 years. Back then the CDN buck was 63 cents US which works out precisely if you multiply it out. Now it's 87 cents US which should make the Forester roughly $36,000.

I noticed the same thing when I discovered the base price of a WRX was $36,000.

As for importing, I haven't done it but I would be willing to bet the duties and charges would eat up most of the savings.

I agree about the price adjustment. Subaru seems to have forgot to check the currency exchange rates in the past 5 years. Back then the CDN buck was 63 cents US which works out precisely if you multiply it out. Now it's 87 cents US which should make the Forester roughly $36,000.

I noticed the same thing when I discovered the base price of a WRX was $36,000.

As for importing, I haven't done it but I would be willing to bet the duties and charges would eat up most of the savings.

I believe there are NOT duty or taxes (except the GST and AC tax $100 + another 182.00-excise tax) You don't pay State tax because your out of state.

i think the trick is to buy it here, then drive it like a vacation, then import it. Another trick is to buy a 1yo sooby and it then is a used car.

This is done all the time via the factory purchase plans for BMW, mercedes, saab and volvo. The trick there is that you drive the made for US car over there and put miles on it, then the factory ships it here, and it comes over as a used car. You save a bunch of money by doing this (i hear).

Here is an idea, write subaru and ask them :). Worst that will happen is that they say no. Also look at this site:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

your not the first one to do it

nipper