Ultimate Subaru Message Board

putting seat heaters in 97 legacy

Hi I just replaced my old seats with leather outback limited seats. They have seat warmers but unfortunatly nothing exists to plug them inot in my legacy l wagon. Is there a way to make this work or is the electical for the seat heaters part of the wiring harness. Thanks.

Hi I just replaced my old seats with leather outback limited seats. They have seat warmers but unfortunatly nothing exists to plug them inot in my legacy l wagon. Is there a way to make this work or is the electical for the seat heaters part of the wiring harness. Thanks.

depends upon how good you are with electrics. The heaters are in parallel for high and series for low. FIrst check the heaters with a meater to make sure they have good circuits. Hate to do all that work and find out the heaters are no good.

nipper

Thanks I'll check them and see if they are good or not. If they are how do I get electricity to the switch and then to the seat. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram of the seat heater system in my hanes book.

Well the seats are good. So where do I go from here?

If the heated seats were offered as an option in 97, I'd bet there are hookups in the existing wiring harness.

I'd remove some carpeting and plastic and see what is hiding below the seating area?

If there is wiring under the seat then the wiring to the dash is already done:banana:

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester--every option I've added was pre-wired by the factory.

Yes there are very few things in a sooby that have thier own harness. See if you can go back to the donor car or another car with heated seats and grab the console switches. They usually go in the little pocket for coins, or in a switch blank. Look under the seats. and i hate you for having working seat heaters...

nipper

Yes there are very few things in a sooby that have thier own harness. See if you can go back to the donor car or another car with heated seats and grab the console switches. They usually go in the little pocket for coins, or in a switch blank. Look under the seats. and i hate you for having working seat heaters...

nipper

the seat heaters where an option for the 97 however i did look for wiring and couldn't find any. However there are a few "male terminals?" That have no female terminals plugged into them. I'm assuming "hoping really" that the wiring for the seats plugs into one of these "terminals". I ca't even find a wiring diagram for the seat heaters anywhere. So I guess the only thing to do is go back to the car I got the seats from an follow the wiring. Nipper don't envy me until the electicity starts to flow. Thanks

Jason

the seat heaters where an option for the 97 however i did look for wiring and couldn't find any. However there are a few "male terminals?" That have no female terminals plugged into them. I'm assuming "hoping really" that the wiring for the seats plugs into one of these "terminals". I ca't even find a wiring diagram for the seat heaters anywhere. So I guess the only thing to do is go back to the car I got the seats from an follow the wiring. Nipper don't envy me until the electicity starts to flow. Thanks

Jason

ill trade you my semi working heated seats for your heated seats :clap:

hehe

the switches are located in the center console behind the e brake...

a wiper warmer switch

then the seat heat switches

(yes, high & low)

so remove that lovely plastic thing for change & the cd/tape holder box...

the wire harness should be under that.

I would consider a wrecking yard for an abandoned center console with the switches intact.

Later,

Peter:cool:

the switches are located in the center console behind the e brake...

a wiper warmer switch

then the seat heat switches

(yes, high & low)

so remove that lovely plastic thing for change & the cd/tape holder box...

the wire harness should be under that.

I would consider a wrecking yard for an abandoned center console with the switches intact.

Later,

Peter:cool:

Thanks pete. I was given the switches with the seats. Now I guess I frankenstien together some wiring. I'm suprised that no one else has done this. I'll post my experience.