Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this caused by the O2 Sensor?????

Howdy... I've posted my Legacy Purge valve solenoid problem, and thanks to everyone who answered... I'll be swapping it soon....

Now... on to Legacy #2... 1990 Wagon....

CEL check says Oxygen sensor.... though the check eng. light does not come on constantly. Doing the eng. running check with the green connector gives no fault.... although, I might wait and try it when the problem (and light) seem to be occuring.

Here's what it does: Runs good when cold... no real problems. Then, as the car warms, there seems to develop a miss that is almost unnoticable until the car is under a load, as when pulling a steep hill. Then the miss becomes VERY noticable, lurching and hesitating..... As long as you don't drive agressivley, and stay off the mountain, you might not notice the miss.... it's so minor it feels like you're turning the ac on and off, robbing just a little juice from the motor. Then you go to pass a truck on a hill and forget it. Sputter city. Normally, the CEL will then come on a few seconds or a minute later, and stay on for a few miles.

So.... is this the O2 sensor causing a problem? Is it hard to change?

As always, help from the gurus on this site is greatly appreciated! You guys are truly the best!

--Mike

there arent any more codes that its throwing? just the o2 sensor? if thats the case then just change it and see if it cures that problem. you can get direct replacements online from ebay or oxygensensors.com, there are a couple to choose from and you can get the cheaper wire-it-in-yourself for about $10 less, just have to swap over connectors, but i say splurg the extra dough and get the replacement, less hassle. try to get a bosch one.

~Josh~

Howdy... I've posted my Legacy Purge valve solenoid problem, and thanks to everyone who answered... I'll be swapping it soon....

CEL check says Oxygen sensor.... though the check eng. light does not come on constantly. Doing the eng. running check with the green connector gives no fault.... although, I might wait and try it when the problem (and light) seem to be occuring.

Here's what it does: Runs good when cold... no real problems. Then, as the car warms, there seems to develop a miss that is almost unnoticable until the car is under a load, as when pulling a steep hill. Then the miss becomes VERY noticable, lurching and hesitating..... As long as you don't drive agressivley, and stay off the mountain, you might not notice the miss.... it's so minor it feels like you're turning the ac on and off, robbing just a little juice from the motor. Then you go to pass a truck on a hill and forget it. Sputter city. Normally, the CEL will then come on a few seconds or a minute later, and stay on for a few miles.

As always, help from the gurus on this site is greatly appreciated! You guys are truly the best!

--Mike

pull the rear fuel line off at the filter and see if you have pressure,im betting the pump is weak.

Weak pump? Really? I've been told by more than one person that "they don't fail that way. They either work or they don't." I suspected it might be "weak"..... but was shot down. The filter is new, by the way.

So, is there a report on this site somewhere is instructions on finding and replacing the O2 sensor?

thanks!

--Mike

--Mike

Listen to this... Since last August, the check engine light on my car had been going on and off every other day, sometimes every other week. I work at a store that has a shop and I had him look at it. He had me try everything like dry gas and all that crap, nothing worked. I put in new plugs, wires, and ign coil because we thought that because the computer also showed a cylinder misfire, that might be it...wasn't. It wouldn't do it every time I drove, but mostly when it got real warmed up, and it would hesitaet, then I would floor it, and it would finally catch up with itself. It had only been doing the hesitation thing for about a month or so, then we finally changed the O2 Sensor, because the light came on and wouldn't go off. My car drives beautiful now...I have a Forester, and my mechanic changed it in like 10 minutes.