Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Splitting the block

I blew up a piston on my 83 and so i decided to tear the engine apart to have a look in side. I have every thing taken off all the bolts are out. The crank and cam are jammed inside and wont come out. I just cant seem to figure out how to split the two halfs apart any trick or a good place to pry or pound? Thanks

David

EA81 engine has a nut somewhat hidden on left/ right side of block won't split until you remove it, low on the block inside one of the passages if i remeber correctly

this is so true. Is it not hiding behind the head gasket?

I had this happen to me one time too.

On the underside of the engine is what I think is an oil-return passage opening into the oil pan between the two halves. It's slot shaped and perfect for a screwdriver. When I first saw it, I thought it was put there for prying the halves apart (didn't realize it was an oil passage), so I used it. It scarred the passage some, but I doubt the machining in there matters much. I worked that hole carefully until I could get some fingers in.

My engine had been sitting for a long while, though. If your halves are better stuck together, this might not work so well.