Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not for sale. At any price. (refit nearing completion)

Well, the boss sent me out to check on a possable donor car for a couple of projects, and to my great pleasure it was also a great donor car of Emily (my wagon) as it was exactly the same color (Ice Blue - a Light blue metalic) and the same year. Added to this it is an LS, which privides me with the rear sway bar and sunroof that I want. By the time I'm done stripping this car, the only thing I will need to complete the refit are repairs to the two right doors, AGX shocks, and driving lights. For anyone that is keeping score, Emily is sitting at just over 190K miles on the ODO, running very strong and capable. Will still break 110MPH easily (before she hits the fuel cutoff at 115, then coasts up to 120), and makes a fairly reliable 27MPG with the cruise set at 85MPH on the freeway. She holds the road like she is bolted to it (and I can only see that improving), and hauls loads that simple blow away anyone that sees them (Hauled an engine and transmission from the south bay to home, hauled a Mustang 5.0 on a dolly, hauled the donor Legacy wagon on a dolly, hauled two engines from SF to LA. . .), and barely blinks at it. As soon as the bodywork is done (correcting the neglect of the original owner, who had no use for bodywork unless it was something functional), Emily will be as beautiful on the outside as I find her to be on the inside. Even so, she cannot be replaced, so she will not be for sale at any price, at any time.

You have made references to a few different cars here. What kind of cars are you talking about? I have no idea who or what an "Emily" is.

I'd love to follow your project description.

Thanks.

-Jack

Sorry, I guess I should be more explicit, as the signatures have gone byebye. . .

Emily is my 92 Legacy L wagon, AWD 5MT, Ice Blue (light blue metalic, very very nice looking color). When I got her at 135K miles, about 15 months ago, she had steel wheels, chewed up seatbelts, the ordinary plain seats, and a fair number of dents.

I have since added a towing hitch (which I have put to good use), the top model of seats (the drivers seat has, in addition to lumbar support, the lever for height adjustment, both front seats have pockets in the rear and the headrests that adjust front and back as well as up and down. The rear seats also have headrests), an 80W Radio headunit from 1 year earlier (to get the AUX port in the front), a CD Player head from an SVX (I had also gotten one with the headunit, but that one is in need of repair), Alloy wheels from an LS, a Roof Rack, a rear deflector (throws air down the back window to keep it free of rain and snow while driving), and the "privacy cover" to go over the cargo area. In addition to this, I had replaced the doors with ones that were not dented, and the rear bumper (which had been bent in a rear end collision), the webbing for the seatbelts, and the headliner (which was fairly torn up by the dogs that had chewed up the seatbelts).

Mechanicly, I have replaced the balljoints, clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, battery, and tires (well if you want to count the regular oil changes. . .).

what I got with the donor was doors and rear bumper that match the original paint, along with a new headliner (that I will need with the sunroof), a sunroof, and a rear sway bar. Oh, and Alloy wheels that are in better condition than the ones I have. All that will be left after this round of retrofitting will be the driving lights and struts. At 200K miles, I plan on replacing the timing belt, refurbishing the oil pump, and resealing the engine. In addition to this, I scored a block heater in one of the repairs I did, so I wil be installing that at that time (not that I really need it. . .).

Also awaiting installation are a lightweight flywheel, and high pressure pressure plate and clutch that were scored from a tuner Impreza 2.5. This is a valuable upgrade as now I can spin my clutch by taking off too hard. I don't like that situation. . .

oh wow it sounds like you have been buisy! I love to hear about people taking old cars and fitting them out with all of the best options. Sounds like a really nice car. I'd love to see some pictures if/when you get time.

Let's see . . . How about these to start with?