Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What happened to make an almost new pump fail?

There is a round cover under the carpet behing the rear passenger side seat.

This cover gives access to the inside of the gas tank and to the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender.

I think that if you unbolt it, the rest is pretty intuitive.

Other members might call me wrong on this, but I think that if you put your hand on the most recent Haynes (less than 20$) manual for the Legacy, the procedure will be the same even if your model year is not covered.

What happened to make an almost new pump fail?

There is a round cover under the carpet behing the rear passenger side seat.

This cover gives access to the inside of the gas tank and to the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender.

I think that if you unbolt it, the rest is pretty intuitive.

Other members might call me wrong on this, but I think that if you put your hand on the most recent Haynes (less than 20$) manual for the Legacy, the procedure will be the same even if your model year is not covered.

Your right on the haynes manual. i think with the exception of some suspension parts, interior and the emissions/engine mgmt car is pretty much mechanically the same till 2005.

nipper

Thanks to all!!! my 2003 has 104000 miles on it. Lots of start and stop driving and nassssty Montana weather to put up with. I have changed the o2 sensor the coolant temp sensor fuel filter plugs/ wires and have kept it maintained. Currently hesitation problems and high lows in idle as well as I think I can hear the fuel pump straining to pump??

Maybe you are right, but I think it's extremely rare to see a fuel pump fail at that mileage*. I would have the fuel pressure checked before investing in a new pump. You might also check the voltage at the pump : if the pump runs unevenly, it could be cause of a bad connection, ground, relay, etc.

* I have a 96 Brighton wagon with 146 K miles on it and I do the same kind of driving in about the same kind of weather and my pump runs just fine.

Thanks again! I get a system to lean error from obd11. and the po130 from o2 sensor rears its head again. I am hopeing it is the pump? I will let you know soon. Thanks for the info I have not needed a manual till recently. Currently my frontier is undergoing a timing belt change and the soob is not playing well I have to get one running for my wife by 7am. I will let you know! THANKS

If you have already replaced the A/F sensor, and still get code P0130, you have a bad electical connection in wiring between ECM and A/F sensor. Or you have an exhaust leak upstream from A/F sensor.

If you can't find the problem, give me a call, 586-2231. I've got a Select Monitor, can look at A/F sensor readings.